FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mathew1991

Fish Crazy
Tank of the Month 🏆
🏆 Tank of the Year 🏆
Reaction score
Best way to get all the fish ooo out small 3mm gravel

I have a gravel vac but it seems to have drained all the water I need to before I get all the stuff out

Something I’ve been learning, while developing my Tilapia tank poop sucker… The flow ( based on the diameter of the hose ) has to be right for the diameter and length of suction tube or it won’t pull solids up and out of the tank… a bigger diameter suction tube pulls lots of broken down waste out, but generally heavier solids won’t go up the tube ( which is kind of the idea, or you would just suck up all your gravel ) you can find a gravel vacuum with a little smaller suction tube might pull out the solids better, but if your substrate is too lightweight, it will want to suck that out as well. Also I’ve added elbows where my hose usually bends as it comes out of the tank, a kink in the hose there, reduces the flow, thus limiting the size of solids that will vacuum out…

As your tank matures you may find out the waste breaks down better, and is easier to remove.

Also the kind of foods used can also effect the solidness and density of the fish wastes, so depending, you may even try changing food’s your fish are eating

Last edited:
Best way to get all the fish ooo out small 3mm gravel
Hello. Everything in the tank will dissolve. So, by just removing and replacing most of the tank water every few days, you remove whatever has dissolved in it. This includes the fish waste. Pretty easy.

10 Tanks (now 11)

Actually very little fish waste ( and the food we feed the fish ) actually “dissolves” only a small percentage of it will dissolve, but most absorbs water and remains as solids… that is the part that gets visibly vacuumed out of the substrate, some also becomes suspended in the water, and a mechanical filter can remove it then

Making tea, the leaves don’t dissolve, and lots of the flavor and color compounds don’t actually dissolve, they become suspended in the liquid

Just for fun….

If we kept 10 pleco’s in a 10 gallon aquarium, for 10 years, and only sucked surface water off, for water changes, after 10 years, we would have 10 inches of fish poop

You can also get a gravel vac that comes with a small bag where the hose normally goes this bag allows water through but catches waste.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back