Best Schoolers/shoal-Ers

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Elrohirthehasty

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Which (small, community) fish form the tightest, most coherent schools/shoals? Opinions? Experience?

Tiger barbs are amazing in my experience, just a pain to find tank mates for sometimes! 

My Harlequin rasboras also school tightly.

My harlequins stuck together, but it wasn't a very tight group.  Granted I only ever had 6 at the most.  Someday I'd like to set up a 100+ gallon tank and get three large shoals of 30+.  

the glass catfish in my LFS looked very tight. but this could be because of the small tanks, Im not to sure

Rummynose tetras stick together quite well, at least mine do. :)

My Threadfin Rainbowfish(when I had the full group before they slowly perished) stuck together really, really tightly :)

I think Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish are another good tight shoaling group, as are neon tetras, lambchop rasboras and to a slightly lesser extent bloodfin tetras.

I like it best when they all turn at roughly the same time/angle so the light reflects on all of them.  
I have noticed glass cats before at my LFS, they just kinda sit in formation.  Also cool, but less movement.

Just be aware that most freshwater fish school only as a defense mechanism; in the safety of our tanks, even the tightest schooling fish tend to form lose groups rather than true schools.

fluttermoth said:
Just be aware that most freshwater fish school only as a defense mechanism; in the safety of our tanks, even the tightest schooling fish tend to form lose groups rather than true schools.

This is true. My Threadfins did school closely but only if something was chasing them for example - The guppies XD

My fish will also shoal fairly nicely during feeding time - and during water changes.

eaglesaquarium said:
My fish will also shoal fairly nicely during feeding time - and during water changes.

Yup :) My Threadfins only shoaled during either feeding time or a dangerous time(being chased, waterchanges) :)

My rummys are always together but that could be due to me only having 5 at the moment, nothing scary in their tank that I know of, just albino corys. Will be getting more soon. I hope whatever you get you enjoy them! :) If you are getting any that is o_O

fluttermoth said:

Good point. 
Ninjouzata said:
My rummys are always together but that could be due to me only having 5 at the moment, nothing scary in their tank that I know of, just albino corys. Will be getting more soon. I hope whatever you get you enjoy them!
smile.png
If you are getting any that is o_O

Eventually.  Once I'm settled in one place for more than a year at a time.  (My current tanks are at my parents house.  I'm doing the college thing, so my parents take care of them, except during breaks.)

well whenever its feeding time in my 29 gall my 7 black skirts come in a big group like pirannahs and feed there really fun fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back