Best fish to breed in 10 gallon

Killifish can be easy to breed but the adults can make your life miserable. Aphyosemion species males are highly territorial and prone to driving the females to death in their spawning ardor. Killifish can be very hands on or you can go with a heavily planted natural tank set up and scoop out the fry that appear into a rearing tank. Most Killifish fry grow rapidly and the bigger ones eat the smaller ones. Separate them for size frequently. Generally you don't get a lot of fry because they lay so few eggs but they lay them pretty constantly. That is why you have to separate for size. Killie fry grow a lot in only a week or two. You rarely see Killifish in the pet shops so they are an easy sell. Don't expect to make Ferrari payments on your fish income. About all you get is store credit. I like your idea about Paradise Fish. They are not seen often and they are easy to breed. You do it just like Bettas. I hope the Paradise Fish makes a comeback. I like them.
Will the parents adult killifish eat their own fry?

what is store credit exactly? How does it work?
Store credit will depend on the mood of the shop owner who gives it to you but usually it is the wholesale amount they would pay if they got it from their supplier. Say you sell them 10 Paradise Fish and they would pay their supplier 10 bucks for them , then they give you 10 bucks on the books to buy anything in their store up to that amount. You don't walk out the door with anything in your pocket. Sometimes they exclude certain items too. Again, depends on the shop owner.

Will the parents adult killifish eat their own fry?
That is a yes and no answer. In a very heavily planted tank they will leave the fry alone if the adults are well fed but they will eat one if it swims right in front of them. Killie eggs take about an average of 12 to 20 days to hatch. The annual species require a dry incubation to simulate natural conditions and can take 6 to 8 months. Non annuals like Aphyosemion, Epiplatys, and Fundulopanchax lay a few eggs every day so you will wind up with fry of varying sizes. That's the reason to scoop them out and separate according to size. The American Killifish Association has their beginners guide free to look at on their website. It will answer all your questions.

ok
Store credit will depend on the mood of the shop owner who gives it to you but usually it is the wholesale amount they would pay if they got it from their supplier. Say you sell them 10 Paradise Fish and they would pay their supplier 10 bucks for them , then they give you 10 bucks on the books to buy anything in their store up to that amount. You don't walk out the door with anything in your pocket. Sometimes they exclude certain items too. Again, depends on the shop owner.
ok thanks I didnt know that

That is a yes and no answer. In a very heavily planted tank they will leave the fry alone if the adults are well fed but they will eat one if it swims right in front of them. Killie eggs take about an average of 12 to 20 days to hatch. The annual species require a dry incubation to simulate natural conditions and can take 6 to 8 months. Non annuals like Aphyosemion, Epiplatys, and Fundulopanchax lay a few eggs every day so you will wind up with fry of varying sizes. That's the reason to scoop them out and separate according to size. The American Killifish Association has their beginners guide free to look at on their website. It will answer all your questions.
Ok thanks for the informations i will look on that website

Here is my list of breeding project with your suggestion:
-Killifish
-red cherry shrimp
-corydoras
-maybe paradise fish
Thanks for your help

What exactly is store credit, (I speak french) and I searched on internet but I the result were that it was a sort of refund , I am not sure to understand.
Store credit is where the shop takes the fish and gives you some credit that can be used in their store.
eg: You take in 10 guppies and the shop gives you $1.00 credit for each fish. You now have $10.00 in credit at the store. It is not cash in the hand, but you can take $10.00 worth of goods from the shop in exchange for the fish. You can also use the $10.00 credit as part payment for a more expensive item. It is simply deducted from the price of the item/s you buy.

-----------------------
Killifish aren't big sellers and neither are Paradise fish.

Guppies, platies, swordtails and angelfish are the biggest sellers.

If you have limited space and not many shops to sell to, you could look at breeding some of the dwarf cichlids or smaller rainbowfish. Apistogramma cacatuoides is a South American dwarf cichlid that will breed happily in a 2 foot long tank and you can usually sell them. Melanotaenia praecox is a small rainbowfish that also sells well.

If you are trying to make money from fish, set up some outdoor ponds and put the baby fish out there to grow during the warmer months. And have a number of tanks and tubs indoors and breed the common fish like guppies and platies, and have some of the more unusual stuff like rainbowfish, dwarf cichlids and killifish.

Last edited:
what is store credit exactly? How does it work?
It’s pretty much like you have a gift card, except you don’t actually see the card. It’s pretty much like a gift card you can’t take home or see and you can only spend in store. :)

-Killifish
-red cherry shrimp
-corydoras
-maybe paradise fish
Thanks for your help
I just recommend cherry shrimp and Killifish for now. :)

-Killifish
-red cherry shrimp
-corydoras
-maybe paradise fish
Thanks for your help
That will keep you busy ! By the way, the American Killifish Association has the worst website ever. To find that beginners guide type in AKA Beginners Guide into your computer looker upper gizmo. That will be faster. Is that what that doo-hickey is called ?

Store credit is where the shop takes the fish and gives you some credit that can be used in their store.
eg: You take in 10 guppies and the shop gives you $1.00 credit for each fish. You now have $10.00 in credit at the store. It is not cash in the hand, but you can take $10.00 worth of goods from the shop in exchange for the fish. You can also use the $10.00 credit as part payment for a more expensive item. It is simply deducted from the price of the item/s you buy.

-----------------------
Killifish aren't big sellers and neither are Paradise fish.

Guppies, platies, swordtails and angelfish are the biggest sellers.

If you have limited space and not many shops to sell to, you could look at breeding some of the dwarf cichlids or smaller rainbowfish. Apistogramma cacatuoides is a South American dwarf cichlid that will breed happily in a 2 foot long tank and you can usually sell them. Melanotaenia praecox is a small rainbowfish that also sells well.

If you are trying to make money from fish, set up some outdoor ponds and put the baby fish out there to grow during the warmer months. And have a number of tanks and tubs indoors and breed the common fish like guppies and platies, and have some of the more unusual stuff like rainbowfish, dwarf cichlids and killifish.
I would like to do that but I will only breed fish in a 10 and 5 gallon tank so my options are limited

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back