Best fish to breed in 10 gallon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Meg0000

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi, I would like to know what is the best fish to breed in 10 gallon for profit (and also just for fun)? Also what is the fish the most in demand right now? I would like to do shrimps maybe or panda corydoras but for these the parents would be in a 30 gallon. I would love to breed paradise fish but I don't think they would sell. I would like to know all of your opinion and suggestion!

If breeding just for fun do guppies. They are pretty much the only ones good in a single 10g. If breeding for profit you will need many tanks and a decent stock. Say two 20 gallons, a ten gallon and a 40 gallon tank with dividers.You could do a fancy strain of guppies for this or try something that is not a live bearing fish.
What are your water parameters? This will help is know what fish to suggest based on their requirements on soft or hard water.

Oh I totally forgot the possibility of killifish!

If breeding just for fun do guppies. They are pretty much the only ones good in a single 10g. If breeding for profit you will need many tanks and a decent stock. Say two 20 gallons, a ten gallon and a 40 gallon tank with dividers.You could do a fancy strain of guppies for this or try something that is not a live bearing fish.
What are your water parameters? This will help is know what fish to suggest based on their requirements on soft or hard water.
The maximum of tank I can have would be one 30 gallon one 10 gallon and one 5 gallon and just the 10 and the 5 would be for breeding or raising fry from the 30 gallon. I don't know exactly my water parameter but where I live tap water is pretty much around 6.9 to 7.1 I think for PH. I tought about fancy guppies in the 10 gallon but i am scared it will get overstocked.

Most RAMs and dwarf cichlids are pretty easy to breed once you get a breeding pair and are in high demand but one would need at least a 20 gallon for that.

Meg000, I have a 30 gallon and a 10 gallon and I breed my guppies for profit. It would be better to have 3 or 4 tanks but I am successfully doing it in two.

Meg000, I have a 30 gallon and a 10 gallon and I breed my guppies for profit. It would be better to have 3 or 4 tanks but I am successfully doing it in two.
That is nice but I would just use the 5 and 10 gallon for fry or breeding exept if I get fry from the 30 gallon that I would raise in the other tank. So I think I can forget about guppies if I don't have another bigger tank.

I have my fry in my 10 gallon and when the get big enough to mingle with swordtails and adult guppies, I move them to my 30 gallon. I probably push the limit, but I typically have around 30-45 guppy fry in my 10 gallon. Hope this helps!
(Btw, raising livebearers is a good start for beginners as it gets you into the ropes of raising fry without being too easy).

Most RAMs and dwarf cichlids are pretty easy to breed once you get a breeding pair and are in high demand but one would need at least a 20 gallon for that.
I didn't know they were in high demand thanks for the information

I have my fry in my 10 gallon and when the get big enough to mingle with swordtails and adult guppies, I move them to my 30 gallon. I probably push the limit, but I typically have around 30-45 guppy fry in my 10 gallon. Hope this helps!
(Btw, raising livebearers is a good start for beginners as it gets you into the ropes of raising fry without being too easy).
Do you sell your guppies easily ? I am scared to breed fish and then nobody wants to buy them. This helped, I think I won't breed guppies just with a 10 and 5 gallon because it will get overstocked I think. Did anyone here tried breeding shrimp for profit?

Cherry shrimp would be good to breed for profit

I had a little difficult time selling my guppies because my LFS is more interested in swordtails BUT it depends on your LFS. Call and ask around to see if anyone will give you store credit (don't ask for cash they typically don't do that). If they don't give you store credit they will probably take them for free. I do have another LFS that would have paid me $2 per pair so it just depends on your LFS and the market.

Easiest is guppies, I started with 1 male and 7 females and in 3 months have over 80 fry and counting. But I do not think there is much profit with only a 10 gallon tank for any fish. Shrimp you can have a large number in a 10 gallon tank and they are popular. The local pet store sells them for 4-6 dollars each and it may be cheaper to do a mail order business with them than trying to sell and ship fish.

Most reactions

Back