Beginner question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CraigDalton

Reaction score
Hi all

I am very new into the fish keeping world and I made the horrid mistake of buying a black comet goldfish and a shubunkin a while back (3 years) and they have been kept in a small prison 30L tank which not to my knowledge until recently is far far too small for them. I have actually ordered myself a 200L juwel lido which I really want to keep tropical fish as over the last few month I have a grown a real interest in the hobby of fish keeping. My question is, is it possible to put the black comet and the shubunkin in the heated 200L tank along with other tropical fish (tetras, Guppies, Corydora, bristlenose, angel fish)? Please don't be too hard on me, I am only learning as I go for now.

Thanks

Goldfish aren't tropical.
Goldfish and tropical fish have different requirements and to meet both requirements in one tank is just impossible. You can't do it. You might come close, but you can't give your fish all of the recommended goldfish care they need in a tropical aquarium.
Some species of goldfish can live in slightly heated tanks but not as high as tropical. That's my veiw anyway.
just do your research, asking is a great way to start.?

Goldfish aren't tropical.
Goldfish and tropical fish have different requirements and to meet both requirements in one tank is just impossible. You can't do it. You might come close, but you can't give your fish all of the recommended goldfish care they need in a tropical aquarium.
Some species of goldfish can live in slightly heated tanks but not as high as tropical. That's my veiw anyway.
just do your research, asking is a great way to start.?
Thanks very much for your reply! I kind of thought that but I wanted to make sure. I will have to get another tank. Thanks again ?

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?
Comet and Shubunkin goldfish need a tank that is at least 4 foot long.

--------------------
What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.
Tetras, barbs, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0.

Goldfish, Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies) and rainbowfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

--------------------
Almost all goldfish sold at pet shops are bred in tropical Asia and will live quite happily in water that is between 5 & 30C. The more fancy varieties (fantails, etc) actually do better in water with a temperature above 16C.

As long as you keep them with other fish that have the same food and water requirements, goldfish can be kept in tropical aquariums.

Goldfish and livebearers eat the same food and need the same water chemistry, and both will live in water with a temperature around 24-25C.

Small goldfish will be fine with guppies, however the guppies won't get enough food with big goldfish. If you have mollies, they grow bigger than guppies and will be fine with medium size goldfish.

Comets and other varieties of single tail goldfish will be too boisterous for guppies.

--------------------
Tetras, Angelfish, Corydoras and suckermouth catfish come from softer water with a low pH and should not be kept with goldfish.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?
Comet and Shubunkin goldfish need a tank that is at least 4 foot long.

--------------------
What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.
Tetras, barbs, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0.

Goldfish, Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies) and rainbowfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

--------------------
Almost all goldfish sold at pet shops are bred in tropical Asia and will live quite happily in water that is between 5 & 30C. The more fancy varieties (fantails, etc) actually do better in water with a temperature above 16C.

As long as you keep them with other fish that have the same food and water requirements, goldfish can be kept in tropical aquariums.

Goldfish and livebearers eat the same food and need the same water chemistry, and both will live in water with a temperature around 24-25C.

Small goldfish will be fine with guppies, however the guppies won't get enough food with big goldfish. If you have mollies, they grow bigger than guppies and will be fine with medium size goldfish.

Comets and other varieties of single tail goldfish will be too boisterous for guppies.

--------------------
Tetras, Angelfish, Corydoras and suckermouth catfish come from softer water with a low pH and should not be kept with goldfish.
Thanks for your help! I appreciate it

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back