beginner gouramis

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jesuitstudent05

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am thinking about starting up a gouramis tank that would probably be a 29 gallon. I am wondering what would be some good gouramis to start out with? I am thinking dwarf because I don't just want one or two. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Having just placed 2 Pearl Gourami into a 29g, I'd say that if you want more than 2 gourami, you should stick with the dwarfs. The footprint of the 29g is the same as the 20L, so there's less territory there than you think. The key to stocking a 29g is to use the available layers.

If you're not completely wed to the idea of nothing but gourami, I will say that watching a pair of young adult gourami grow to full color and begin preparations for spawning (in a community tank no less) is a wonderous sight. You can keep a very nice shoal of rasboras, barbs, or danios, and another good sized school of bottom dwellers, like corys, otos, or loaches.

Sorry, mostly just sharing my good fortune. I do like your dwarf gourami idea too! :thumbs:

Especially if you can find several types (Power Blue Dwarf, Flame Dwarf, Honey Gourami)...

Yeah, I think the dwarf gourami idea is a good one. I love my dwarfs.
I have a neon blue and a golden dwarf gourami. They are really fun to watch!

I added a dwarf to my 50 and he seems to be doing fine. It's been over a week and he's eaten the flakes and frozen shrimp I offered him.

Red Robin Gouramis are also well worth finding. Although not often referred to as dwarfs for some reason, they are :D.

Lovely red and silver colouration...and recognised by practical Fishkeeping, so they're a genuine variant (I initially thought they were dyed. But they're not.)

Try dwarf Honey gouramis, or the other color strain, the dwarf flame gourami. I have 2 of the honeys and they get along fine. They are very curious of new tank inhabitants too. :p (I keep them in a 55 with a pearl gourami and other fish see signature) They arn't too picky and will also pick stuff out of the water and off plants, although there wouldn't be much in a newly set up tank. They eat most dry foods, freeze dried foods and much more.

Don't stick honey gourami with bigger dwarf like neon or flame because they will get picked on.
I have had a mixed dwarf tank. It was three feet and it didn't work out too well. The powder blue was the devil and the giant was so timid he starved to death. The neon blue disappeared one day and the flame lasted the longest. I would not reccomend getting many types because I paid $7 a piece for the fish and the one that lived the longest only lasted 6 months. Stick with like one species and some females and then some other fish or just two varieties. Or do what you want. I dunno...

I would suggest dwarf Gourami as well. I have 2 blue Gouramis (3-4")and they are NOT HAPPY. They hide all the time (except feeding, little piggies) Their spots are fading and I can see when they swim that 24" is just not enough for them. (they swim really really fast) They are going to a friend's empty 60 gallon this weekend.

..I'm gonna miss them, they are so pretty... but I want them to be happy

....Now how to get a dwarf puffer to get along with my cories............

The dwarf honey and dwarf flame that i was speaking of were both honeys but different colors i'm sorry i confused you. But correct me if i'm wrong :)

Their are honeys which are golden color and males turn black underneath which is becoming a hard to find fish in petstores and then their is the most common other color form called red honey!

Flame dwarf is a bigger fish that is a deep orange with blue dorcal fin. Here are pics of all three fish so you can see how different they look!

Honey gourami
honey.gif

Red honey gourami
honeydwarfgourami1.JPG

Flame dwarf gourami
01300040_2.JPG

The honey and flame looked exactly the same at the petstore. :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
You're right I guess i couldn't tell b cuz the tank was 2 feet over my head and i had to jump to see them :D

I am so happy that I have 4 big gouramis. Mine have a lot of personality (eat from my hand, and seem to beg, and feel everything with their feelers). They are active in all areas of the tank which makes them fun to watch. I would recommed that you research their size carefully as the smaller one get picked on by larger ones, and some get quite large. I want to get a 55 gallon next to add a few more....

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back