Beginner aquarium plants

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Willbacon23

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys, Iā€™m interesting in getting new plants a for my 20 gallon long and currently only have moss balls and java moss. Iā€™ve ordered liquid fertiliser as feel it will be essential and canā€™t be a bad thing to have but donā€™t want any plants requiring large co2 tanks etc. Does anyone have any good recommendations?

There are floating plants like anacharis, moneywort, hornwort, and water sprite which you can plant or let float. Frog bite and water lettuce are floating plants that are also easy to care for. Amazon and argentine sword plants are nice rooted plant that you can use plant tabs to feed. Anubias is also nice and like ferns you attach it to wood or stones. All these are easy to care for.

There are floating plants like anacharis, moneywort, hornwort, and water sprite which you can plant or let float. Frog bite and water lettuce are floating plants that are also easy to care for. Amazon and argentine sword plants are nice rooted plant that you can use plant tabs to feed. Anubias is also nice and like ferns you attach it to wood or stones. All these are easy to care for.
Thanks so much for the help there! If I get Anubias/ java fern should I just get a piece of string to attach it to the driftwood?

Any cotton thread will work as will a rubber band or fishing line

Any cotton thread will work as will a rubber band or fishing line
I have root tabs and am only going to stick to plants such as amazon sword or easy moss etc etc, do you think root tabs will be suffice ā€œ?

I have root tabs and am only going to stick to plants such as amazon sword or easy moss etc etc, do you think root tabs will be suffice ā€œ?
Probably. Most of the other plants get their nutrients from the water column though

Sword plants are heavy root feeders, so it's best to supplement the plant with root tabs. Mosses and other nonvascular plants are a water column feeder and will need liquid fertilizer rather than root tabs.

Most aquarium plants like a bit of light and if you only have the light on for a couple of hours a day, they struggle. If the light doesn't have a high enough wattage they also struggle. Try having the tank lights on for 10-12 hours a day.

If you get lots of green algae then reduce the light by an hour a day and monitor the algae over the next 2 weeks.
If you don't get any green algae on the glass then increase the lighting period by an hour and monitor it.
If you get a small amount of algae then the lighting time is about right.

Some plants will close their leaves up when they have had sufficient light. Ambulia, Hygrophilas and a few others close their top set of leaves first, then the next set and so on down the stem. When you see this happening, wait an hour after the leaves have closed up against the stem and then turn lights off.

Some good plants to try include Ambulia, Hygrophila polysperma, H. ruba/ rubra, Elodia (during summer, but don't buy it in winter because it falls apart), Hydrilla, common Amazon sword plant, narrow Vallis, Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta).
The Water Sprite normally floats on the surface but can also be planted in the substrate. The other plants should be planted in the gravel.

If you add an iron based aquarium plant fertiliser, it will help most aquarium plants do well. The liquid iron based fertilisers tend to be better than the tablet forms, although you can push the tablets under the roots of plants and that works well.
I use Sera Florena liquid plant fertiliser but there are other brands too.

Do not bother adding carbon fertiliser to the tank because they are not necessary.

Swords, crypts, Hygro, anubius, ferns.
Plants feed 2 ways through roots and through shoots(leaves) and some consume more of a particular nutrient then others. Some like swords and crypts are heavy root feeders that feed around 70% from roots where as an anubius gets the majority of nutrientbfrom shoots.The best route is to get a comprehensive liquid fert and a comprehensive root tab to ensure the plants are getting the range of nutrients they require to grow. When one of the many nutrients is in short supply or not available the plant will struggle and algae takes hold.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back