Badis Badis

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

STEVIE

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right section but they are in the cichlid part of the shop. :rolleyes:
I'm thinking of buying a few this week but would value some opinions.As they are very small and unsexable will males fight should i get two in my group?These are labelled the red form and are very colourful,Are they different from the ordinary type?
Any reasons why i shouldn't buy them?They would go into a small tank at first but when much bigger be put into a 4ft x 18 inch x 18 inch community tank that is heavily planted.

Stevie ,

Badis belong to the Nandid family [ with leaf fish ] and not cichlids , but that's ok , if a Moderator wants to move this you might get more replies in the oddballs forum .

Badis species are fairly undemanding as far as water params , just needs to be pretty clean [ weekly water changes should do it ] slow moving water , or areas where the current isn't strong .

ok , get at least six [ you should get both sexes , maybe ] , males will go at each other [ never a big deal in my case ] , if you provide many ,many hiding spots [ caves] you should be ok . A 4 footer is a great size for a group .

The Red form , are most likely Badis Ruber , or once and still known as Badis badis burmanicus [ search google , sometimes these get mix these up with scarlet dario online ] .

I have 6 Ruber juvis in a 15 gallon tank with many plants [ for the time being ].

I find Badis very similar in behavior to my dwarf cichlids , your shop dealer my too , or may think they are a cichlid .

mine will eat live small foods [ brine shrimp ], or frozen [ brine shrimp , blood worms ] .

I've read that some people can get them to eat flake and pellet food , not me , and I wouldn't count on it .

I have had mine for about a year , was told the will do well at room temp , my room temp has been 67 degrees for the last few months [ since summer ended ] , and the fish are doing fine , thriving .

I also keep "blue badis" , or badis badis badis , these guys have always had a heated tank [ I've had these for about 3 years ] .

They can be shy when it comes to feeding , faster tankmates will get the food first , sometimes the badis will become motionless [ leaf-like ] and wait for food to come closer to them.........other times mine are just too hungry and go right after it .

so what do you know about badis ?

I don't log on here much , but you can pm me with questions if you like , I'll get back to you as soon as I can .

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back