Babies Babies Babies

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

DannyS

Reaction score
In the space of a week all three of my female fish (two molleys and a platy) gave birth, and all of the babies have survived so I now have about 30 fish in a small tank...

what do I do with them?

Does any one want any free fish?

how do you determine all of them survived? You should have at least 60 fry if 3 of them gave birth.

omg,
lol i want mine to have babies!
i think 2 are pregnant.

My molly gave birth to about 30 two days ago. Most of them survived because the mother was in a tank by herself and I removed her as soon as I saw the fry in the tank. The mother was chasing the fry when I removed her.

uh oh!! u should have taken this into consideration before buying them, you will need to get them fed 4 times a day daily water changes, and when they are about an inch long you can sell them to the lfs, for credit to use in the store (( crafty))but if you dont want babies you must seperate the males from femlaes, tho they can have several ( think it up to 6)drops from one fertilization, so take note!! at an average of 30 each every month you will soon be overun with fry, so let them birth in the main tank, or make arrangements to re-home, its your job as the fishkeeper to be responsible in such cases- there is no need at all to be lumbered with so many fry and it kinda gives the rest of us a bad name :unsure:
sorry to sound harsh but it had to be said

shelagh xxx

Shelaugh, in my case there is a 120 community that I need to add some fish into. Those 30 have a real purpose in my fish room. You are right though, you should not be breeding fish that you have no place for.

Shelaugh, in my case there is a 120 community that I need to add some fish into. Those 30 have a real purpose in my fish room. You are right though, you should not be breeding fish that you have no place for.

oh oldman i was in no way referring to you, as i know for a fact that you have a good rep as a fish keeper, and have also never seen you offer free fish to anyone and everyone just cos you have too many.. have a feeling you would be a hell of a lot more organized

shelagh xxx

You might be surprised shelagh. Sometimes I am a lot more organized than other times. Right now I'm trying to shift things around to do some line breeding of an endler that I discovered in my colony that has features I want to select but he got that way by just being one of the many mixed up wild endlers in my tank. I got a bit ahead of myself by changing my mind and deciding to make space for selective breeding. We all seem to have the same weakness when it comes to getting more fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back