Attention youngsters: need pop/hip hop recommendations

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I would have myself banned if I did speak openly on how ridiculous these female artists act, sing and dress!!! :rolleyes: It’s not cool at all
Theyre desperate to get a foot in the door. Once through the door they see how disposable artists are so need to play the game the way they started playing it as others are equally as hungry at least to get too where they are. Rinse n repeat.
There’s very little game changing talent around at any single time in the music biz and it’s a biz that thrives on outrage. Thus each generation needs to up it’s shock factor. Talent alone is rarely enough.
It’s a sad viscious circle.

Still love De La Soul myself. “Three Feet High and Rising” Cd was the first hip hop type album I bought back in late 80s. Though I’d cavorted around dance floors to rappers delight, the crown, the message etc like most U.K. stay up late types of the 80s.
Not much naughtIness on those. In comparison with what came along later I mean.

Talent alone is rarely enough.

Agreed. The supply of highly talented singer/musicians far exceed demand in the music industry. Now if you can write your own songs, you may not have to rely on gimmicks. Case in point, Billie Eilish (with her brother's help).

Agreed. The supply of highly talented singer/musicians far exceed demand in the music industry. Now if you can write your own songs, you may not have to rely on gimmicks. Case in point, Billie Eilish (with her brother's help).
Wait, are you saying Billie Eilish doesn't have talent? LOL. Watch her hit these notes live w/o autotune.
at like 25 seconds. Don't like her music but she definitely has talent.

Wait, are you saying Billie Eilish doesn't have talent? LOL. Watch her hit these notes live w/o autotune.
at like 25 seconds. Don't like her music but she definitely has talent.
He said the opposite of that, he was saying that there's so much talent out there, that even very talented artists often need a gimmick or some kind of hook to take them to the top and outshine the masses of other very talented people. Except someone like Billy Elish who is talented and can also write her own songs, which also helps and means less need for a gimmick/stripper outfits.

I'm too old to have really listened to Billy Elish though.

He said the opposite of that, he was saying that there's so much talent out there, that even very talented artists often need a gimmick or some kind of hook to take them to the top and outshine the masses of other very talented people. Except someone like Billy Elish who is talented and can also write her own songs, which also helps and means less need for a gimmick/stripper outfits.

I'm too old to have really listened to Billy Elish though.
Ah I see. Misunderstood sorry. Aren't you like 27? Thats plenty young :good:

Also I think the older you get the more you realise how so much music is recycled and new experiences quickly become 'hang on, that sounds exactly like so and so'. Being inspired by musicians before your time and wanting to cover their work (RHCP - Love Rollercoaster) is fine, it just riles me when theres no acknowledgement of it.
Quick example, listen to 'Are you my Woman' by the 'Chi-Lites'... Beyonce?
Now JayZ who helped write the song is obviously from a hiphop background where the very nature of that music is derived from sampling.
Heck, George Clinton from Funkadelic-Parliament ended up selling records full of samples just so he could make some money from the hiphop scene who were heavily sampling his work - listen to "(not just) knee deep" and does it remind you of De La Soul? JayZ's 99 problems... Ice-T did it in 1992.
Again, I get it and its fine, it'd just be better if there was some acknowledgement. Such as:
"Crazy In Love" by Beyonce (vs Chi Lites)
It'd also be quite educational to the kids picking up these songs, instantly introducing them to whole new decade and genre of music.
Tell you what though.. I got quite upset the day I found out about Led Zeppelin's counterfeiting activities :grr:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back