FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

WhistlingBadger

Professional Cat Herder
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hey, kids! I am trying to find a couple pop and hip-hop songs that I can share with my fourth and fifth graders, and it's harder than finding hen's teeth. No vulgar (or even marginal) language, no sexual imagery, no drugs or booze, nothing that will otherwise provoke angry phone calls from parents or scandalize pre-teens so much that they won't remember the music. Prefer something from the past year or two, and something that will be familiar to most of the kids.

Any help?

Hey, kids! I am trying to find a couple pop and hip-hop songs that I can share with my fourth and fifth graders, and it's harder than finding hen's teeth. No vulgar (or even marginal) language, no sexual imagery, no drugs or booze, nothing that will otherwise provoke angry phone calls from parents or scandalize pre-teens so much that they won't remember the music. Prefer something from the past year or two, and something that will be familiar to most of the kids.

Any help?
Sunflower (Post Malone and Swae Lee) Old Town Road (Lil Nas X) Panini (Lil Nas X) Feels Like Summer (Donald Glover) Circles (Post Malone). These are all clean and have PG content. I think, give them a listen to be safe though.

Almost forgot. Earfquake (its spelled right dont @ me :rofl:) by Tyler the Creator. The only curse word is practically inaudible because no one knows exactly what he is saying. There are clean versions as well.

Music genres are so passé .. its all one big melting pot and anything goes

Hope your kids know this one

Well, @TheTenthDoctor and @seangee, and @mbsqw1d , I'm not completely disagreeing with you as far as my own personal tastes go. ha ha ha

However, I'm actually trying to teach the kids that it is possible to find things to appreciate even in styles one does not care for, and that those who are able to do so are generally happier and more interesting people. :) But yes, I do intend to get them into classical (and many other styles) of music. Right now we're just discussing the elements of music (melody, rhythm, timbre, etc.) so they have a vocabulary to discuss and think intelligently about what they're hearing. It helps to start with what's familiar.

The only music that I listen to that’s not classical music is from the Beatle Juice and Hamilton musicals

Don't show your students hip hop. Its junky music that isn't inspired. Why not have them listen to real works of art, like The Butterfly Lovers Concerto, dvoark, or something else that is actually music.

That put me to sleep. Let kids be kids with their own taste in music.

Last year, Billie Eilish ruled, she won a bunch of grammys. Bad Guys was the big hit.

Try Havana or Señorita by Camila Cabello, both excellent songs

While my wife is still working, I am in my retirement job ie: driving a school bus. I put in a Bluetooth adapter so we can stream music. For my 7-9th grader, I stream Today's Alternative Hits on Pandora, Today's Top hits for my 4-6th graders.

Some days we do listen to the classics such as Exile on Main Street by the Stones or a modern classic like Demon Days by the Gorillaz's

Just no Cardi B!

Any help?
Fortminor and mike Shinoda, both are the same person, but different style

That put me to sleep. Let kids be kids with their own taste in music.

Last year, Billie Eilish ruled, she won a bunch of grammys. Bad Guys was the big hit.

Try Havana or Señorita by Camila Cabello, both excellent songs

While my wife is still working, I am in my retirement job ie: driving a school bus. I put in a Bluetooth adapter so we can stream music. For my 7-9th grader, I stream Today's Alternative Hits on Pandora, Today's Top hits for my 4-6th graders.

Some days we do listen to the classics such as Exile on Main Street by the Stones or a modern classic like Demon Days by the Gorillaz's

Just no Cardi B!
Agreed. N Cardi B. My point is that hip hop is hardly music, basically noise, if you want a fast paced classical piece try Stravinsky Firebird quite nice

Agreed. N Cardi B. My point is that hip hop is hardly music, basically noise, if you want a fast paced classical piece try Stravinsky Firebird quite nice
I agree to a certain extent, but at the same time there are some beautiful pieces of music that have come out of the hip hop/rap industry. See Hope by XXXTentacion. Revenge by the same is also sad but good.

Well, yeah. Firebird is one of my all-time favorites. The Danse Infernal rocks. But (and it's a very big but) not everyone is into orchestral music, and that's OK. Classical is just one style of many. More importantly, fourth and fifth graders who were raised on Kidsbop might not be intellectually or musically ready for Stravinski. That's a bit like asking someone to run a marathon before they've mastered the 1600m. A teacher's task is to meet the learners where they are, and take them on a journey from there. If I kick off this unit with a Pavarotti aria or an hour-long pibroch, I've lost them before we even get started.

I must disagree with your assertion that hip hop is hardly music, that it's basically noise. It isn't a style that I particularly enjoy myself, an opinion you obviously share. But it certainly fits any objective definition of music: It has melody, rhythm, form, dynamics, timbre, all the characteristics of music. Music is not defined by whether one likes it or not. Hip hop and pop, in their relative simplicity, make a much easier place to study these elements than, say, the Firebird.

Thanks for the suggestions, everybody. Much appreciated! :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back