Atrizine and Frogs

OnlyGenusCaps

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
There was a troll thread that included a reference to Atrizine. It was shut down just before I was able to post the following about the veracity of the assertions in it regarding whether or not Atrazine acts as an endocrine disruptor in frogs. Given the number of folks who stated it does, I thought this was still pertinent to the discourse on the forum to include my reply. Below is what I had hoped to post in response:

"Troll post or not, technically this finding is in dispute. There was one splashy 2002 study that started this belief from a single lab at UC Berkley. Yes, the study got into Nature, which is well respected in general, but headline grabbing studies are also let slip in with less rigorous review sometimes. Since then, other deformities have been discovered to be found in frogs exposed to Atrazine, but the original results have not ever been replicated again. In addition, the original primary author is... Considered to be a character in the field. Believe it or not, the Wikipedia article on it is pretty decent if you want more details. But the summary is that Atrazine, while it causes other harm, it doesn't seem at this time to be a confirmed endocrine disruptor in frogs."

Atrizine is a herbicide and I wouldn't want anyone to take it seriously as something that could be used around (or in!) fishtanks. The troll post was childish, but the atrizine reference was a toxic twist.

And so we move on, back to adulting.

Atrizine is a herbicide and I wouldn't want anyone to take it seriously as something that could be used around (or in!) fishtanks. The troll post was childish, but the atrizine reference was a toxic twist.
I fully realize what Atrizine is, and I'm not sure where you seem to have gotten the idea I would be advocating for using that on any animals. I thought it was important however, to address the misinformation about the chemical's impact on animals in the environment. If you disagree and are happy with the misinformation be propagated, that's fine. But I felt it was important to correct.

Back to your regularly scheduled TFF commentary.

When I made the troll post, I mainly meant for it to be a reference to Alex Jones' famous reaction to Atrazine. But yeah, I don't really think it turns frogs "gay", rather it has other, really bad affects on frogs. I think the key is to just keep Atrazine away from the environment.

I fully realize what Atrizine is, and I'm not sure where you seem to have gotten the idea I would be advocating for using that on any animals. I thought it was important however, to address the misinformation about the chemical's impact on animals in the environment. If you disagree and are happy with the misinformation be propagated, that's fine. But I felt it was important to correct.

Back to your regularly scheduled TFF commentary.
My comment was directed at perza, not to your useful post, @OnlyGenusCaps

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back