Assassin Snails Not Moved In Three Days...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ShamefulCrayon

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello all

I got a pair of assassin snails on Sunday and acclimated them before adding them into the tank. (22L nano cube with one Betta) The first night one of them hadn't moved by morning but the second had gone to the other side of the tank. Now the two nights since the one that had moved hasn't since Monday night, and the other that had barely moved since Sunday was in the exact same place. I'm a bit worried about them now. I know they don't tend to move much during the day, but I would've expected them to have changed position somewhat by the morning. I put an algae wafer in the tank last night to see if they'd go for it and it's not been touched. I now need to do a water change because the thing's disintegrated and made a sodding mess!

Should I be concerned about these snails?

My water parameters are:
PH 7.6
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrites 0ppm
Nitrates 0ppm
Temp 78°f

Yes I would be, my assassins largely stay buried in the gravel unless feeding and then I see them at the surface of the gravel but then they dissappear again, they don't tend to stay in one place for long. Take them out of the water and give them sniff, snails give off an unmistakable odour when they die so you will know if they are alive or not and have a look and make sure they are firmly in their shell if so replace them and give them a little more time perhaps but I would have expected them to move a bit more.

Thanks Betta Fish. I've noticed that one of them has moved this afternoon, but not far. The other one is still exactly where it's been since Tuesday. I'm doing a water change tomorrow morning (got the new water heating up now) so I'll give the other snail a sniff then if it's still not moved. I'm guessing I'm looking out for the smell of carrion?

Thanks for the advice.

Right, did a water change this morning and fished out what was most definitely a dead assassin snail. I'm a little miffed as I got them less than a week ago, but these things happen I suppose. The other assassin had moved so I left that one alone, though I've not seen it since I've turned the aquarium equipment back on. I'm fairly sure I didn't kill it whilst doing the water change. If I don't see it for a couple of days I might have to assume the worst.

Is the tank cycled? I ask this as your readings are zero for all tests, including nitrate.

I have assassin snails, have kept them for at least 2 years now, occassionally you will get one that won't move for a few days, looking like it  is dead then all of a sudden it moves
rolleyes.gif

However, this is not always the case. i would suggest you pick it up out of the tank and smell it, no joke, if its dead, you will know by the smell. If there is no smell or just tank water type of smell, then should be ok. Another sign if they have passed is the main body of the snail will hang out of the shell, kinda unpleasant to see.

Most of the time, assassin snails are buried underneath the substrate, this is how they 'hunt' for other snails, as soon as a snail goes over them, out they pop and catch the 'prey'. They can be quite fast actually, compared to other snails that is anyway.

But i would also suggest you cycle this tank, this will help ensure your betta and snails have a better quaility of life.

If you're unsure what i mean by cycled tanks, have a read of this article - Cycling Your New Fresh Water Tank: Read This First!

Hi Charlie

I dragged the dead assassin out of the tank earlier. Poor bugger was indeed hanging out of it's shell and didn't react at all when I touched it.

The tank is definitely cycled. Has been up and running for about 4 months now (with Betta in) and for another two before then as I wanted to do a fishless cycle so as to not endanger my fish. I think the reason there's no nitrates in the tank (though there have been spikes in ammonia, nitrites and nitrates) is because of the very large anubias and weekly 35% water changes. There's also a smaller red plant in the background which I can never remember the name of. Before I had the anubias (which has been in there maybe 6 weeks at most) I was recording nitrates of between 5 & 40ppm. For that reason I'm pretty sure it's to do with the plants re: 0ppm nitrates.

I have had a Physid (fairly sure they're Physids) population explosion since I planted the tank so thought assassin snails would be perfect. I didn't know they waited under the substrate for prey - I'll have to see if I can find a time-lapse video of an assassin at lunch! Sounds like quite a hoot!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back