FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ch4rlie

Moderate Moderating Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Hi,

I have 2 assassin snails in my tank, originally put in there to control population of common and pond snails.

Now I found the two assassin snails latched on together and I feared one was trying to eat the other! 
huh.png

After some research I now believe they are mating! 
blink.png

And still are at it, been at it for days!! Horny little devils! lol

One snail is smaller than the other which would be the male, females always larger than males as far as I could find out. 

And looking around the tank, I have found 4 separate eggs in separate square transparent pockets. There are probably more in the tank as they are quite difficult to see. 

Here's a picture I got from a quick google search and is exactly what I have in my tank.
Those are definitely assassin snail eggs according to another forum and google searches!

ea800f17-0912-40e3-8295-ef515372debc_zps3e51a76c.jpg

Whoo, right, so far, I have a pregnant Red Cherry Shrimp and now Assassin Snail Eggs. Far more than I would have predicted after having these put in the tank just over a week ago! 
huh.png

Hope I don't get overrun with tiny little baby shrimps and assassin snails everywhere, although am sure my Threadfin Rainbowfish will enjoy eating some of the tiny shrimps when they hatch but there are loads of hiding places for the shrimps, caves, plants, moss balls etc etc so some will undoubtedly survive but how many is the question!

Will try to get some pics of the tiny shrimps and assassin snail if they hatch and IF I can see them!
But got a crummy camera thats not very good with close up pics! Will do my best! 
tongue2.gif

some of my assassin snails have recently hatched, i saw a TINNY snail, there about 1mm in size as babys, iv got blue pearls (a variation of cherry's) i wouldent worry about being over populated with them. they both have a small bioload and make the tank intresting 

Yup, I like interesting, hence why I have RCS and Assassin snails but TBH I dod not think they would breed so soon after being put into the tank just over a week ago. Just recently cycled and a brand new tank, thats why am a bit surprised.

And yeah, they won't add much to the bio load of tank, just hope I don't end up with too many of either RCS or Assassins, probably could sell a few of them if get too many or give them to others on this forum if they want them.

Will cross that bridge if comes to it.

Thanks

I have those eggs too... I just thought they were pest snail eggs...

My assassins keep going missing... I can go 3-4 days without seeing them at all...
Ooo I hope I get little assassins too to join my baby Kribs...

my assassin snails layed eggs everywhere but they never hatched. in fact they they went bad and rotted the rhizome of my anubias plant. have no idea why?

bigcheed said:
my assassin snails layed eggs everywhere but they never hatched. in fact they they went bad and rotted the rhizome of my anubias plant. have no idea why?

Good to know.

I'll keep an eye out if eggs start to rot as I have live plants as well.

Thanks

I saw those tabs/eggs for ages and didn't have a clue what they were... then a few months later mini assassin snails started popping out... and more breeding... and a year later I have an uncountable number.... now that isn't to say you see them wherever you look... you only see the biggest one most of the time (maybe about 20 full sized)... but any bit of gravel you pick up you are likely to find a small one in there.  LOL

I'm going to trade mine in for new fish when the time comes... Maidenhead aquatics said they would give me 1/4 the price they sell them for, which is 87p.... and I have more than enough to cover the cost of new fish... so they come in handy.  I've also gifted some to a friend who wanted some.  I like them.  Once the weather is nice you could always sell yours on ebay, super easy to package them up at low cost.  Takes them about a year to get to a decent size, they are really slow growing.

Here is a pick... I probably have well over 100... but the majority of them seem to look like this one.  That is my little finger in the picture to show size.  :)

A pic of a few my assassin snails now :lol

Feasting on algae wafer with Red Cherry Shrimps!

Assassins snails copy.jpg

Wow love the baby snail pic, aren't they tinnnnyyyyyy. Lol. Wish mine would get on with it and hatch or come say hello, or something! Lol congrats. Would love to get some RCS for my 90L tank, when I am flush money wise and figure out how to get the tank temp low enough I shall do. My temp is on the Max ok temp and the heater is turned down to lowest. I think the lights are heating the water!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back