Are these fish ok for my tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Fish4dawin

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys, Iā€™ve gotten back into fish keeping and was looking for forums like this one so that I could get advice on my new 40 gallon tank. The tank is cycled and at the moment I have 6 black neons, 4 lemon tetras a ruby shark, 4 panda corys and 2 dwarf neon rainbows. Would this stocking of new fish be ok? 6 dwarf chain loaches 4 dwarf neon rainbows and 1 angelfish?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

--------------------
All tetras do best in groups of at least 10 or more of their own kind.

Rainbowfish do best in groups of at least 6 and preferably 10 or more. Different species of rainbowfish that are similar sized, will hang out together.

Corydoras do best in groups of t least 6 and preferably 10 or more. Again you can mix a couple of species to make a group. eg 6 pandas and 6 julii.

Dwarf chain loaches and other Botia species do best in groups of at least 6 and preferably more. However, you need to add them all at the same time so they develop a pecking order. If you have a couple and add more late ron, the new ones usually get bashed.

--------------------
Unless the tank is really big, I don't recommend keeping Botias and Corydoras in the same tank. they don't always get along and the loaches might hassle the catfish.

Most rainbowfish do best in water with a pH above 7.0 and a GH above 200ppm. Most of the other fishes you have listed come from softer water with a GH below 100ppm and a pH below 7.0.

Thank you for the welcome. The tank is a Juwel Rio 125. Iā€™ll ask my mum to run a test for those you listed above.

So I should go with the dwarf chain loaches or the panda corys? I can also move the panda corys to another tank if you say I should go with one or the other.

What would you say about an angelfish in that tank. I know I canā€™t have 5-6 which is what they should be in but Iā€™ve seen they can do fine by themselves.

Sorry I messed up my wording above. the last bit where I say the new stocking, the fish above that are the ones I have in the tank already. Sorry about that.

I don't know how big a Jewel Rio 125 is.

Without know tank dimensions and pH, KH and GH, I won't comment on angelfish yet.

If you already have Corydoras, then don't get any loaches.

I believe the dimensions are 81cm long 50cm high and 40cm wide, something along those lines.

Ok. I do rlly like the dwarf chain loaches though and I would move the corys so I can have them. I donā€™t know if thatā€™s the right move though

I would skip the angelfish, tank would be too small for them

What would the ideal water parameters be for an angelfish?

Also how many dwarf chain loaches could I have in a 40 gallon? 8?

Id go for at least 10 chain loaches, but be sure your GH is under 215ppm for them.

Angels grow too large, need a 55 minimum, but 75g is even better.

Check www.seriouslyfish.com for the GH range and temperature range of every fish you are interested in getting, and also test for your GH out of your tap as well.
Its easier to get fish that are suited for your GH than it is to try to change GH. That can be an expensive road.

People on here use US gallons, 125 litre is about 32 gallons. London water is typically a high GH.

Iā€™m also in the camp pointing the OP towards seriouslyfish.com. Alongside this place itā€™s been the most helpful place on the internet since I returned to the glass box world.

Ok so my pH is 7.7 and GH is 200. Iā€™m still waiting for a response from my mum about KH but I think it was 180. As Naughts said I live in London and the water here is generally pretty hard.

Donā€™t angelfish like soft acidic water?

Still trying to learn more about what water fish favour.

My tank is a 40 gallon but since it doesnā€™t get filled up all the way itā€™s probably 35 gallons or so

Also I want to add some live plants like amazon swords and some java fern. How should I grow them effectively? Any other suggestions on plants for beginners like me would be appreciated

Why not just go African cichlids. Do a dramatic rock landscape and have Electric yellows etc in it. That will solve all your problems with hard London water. Forget trying to juggle things about. Personally I love Africans.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back