Are these fish ok for my tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

This tank is not 40 gallons, it is 125 litres = 33 gallons. And unlike US tanks of this volume, the tank is 82 cm/32 inches long.

I used to have this tank (Juwel Rio 125) so I know what the volume is.

It is not pH you need to lower, it is GH. The only way to do this is to mix tap water with pure water such as reverse osmosis water (RO). The alternative is to keep hard water fish.

Oh I always assumed it was 40 gallon.

What would be a good centrepiece fish for this tank then

RO water can be bought at many fish shops - some sell just RO water, some sell it with minerals added in. To mix with tap water you need plain RO.
Or you can buy equipment to make your own. These do waste a lot of water so if you are on a meter, buying it might be a cheaper option.

Hardness is a linear scale, so if you have 200 ppm GH, a half and half mixture of tap water and RO will have 100 ppm.
You have mentioned that your hardness is 200ppm - have you checked that with your water company's website? You need a number and the unit of measurement as there are several they could use.

Fish profiles use just 2 of the half dozen units of measurement; some use one, some use the other so we need to know our hardness in both units. These are dH (also called German degrees) and ppm (also called mg/l calcium carbonate). If you water company uses a different unit, it is easy to convert it into these two.

Ok I’ve asked my mum to look into it and I’m not at hers all the time so I can’t do it myself.

Does anybody have any suggestions for a good centrepiece fish in a neutral pH?

No one can safely advise anything until you find out the GH

Whilst I’m waiting for my water parameters to come back, what fish would work well with dwarf chain loaches and dwarf neon rainbowfish? They are my planned new stock to my tank and I’d like some tankmates that would work well. Also there is no guarantee that I’ll be getting these fish, and whilst I can check seriously fish I’d like you guys’ thoughts as well

Ok I’ve asked my mum to look into it and I’m not at hers all the time so I can’t do it myself.
All you need to know is the name of the water company and the postcode/address of where the tank will be. Go to the water company's website and do a search for hardness. That will take you to a page where you enter the postcode or sometimes the full address.

All you need to know is the name of the water company and the postcode/address of where the tank will be. Go to the water company's website and do a search for hardness. That will take you to a page where you enter the postcode or sometimes the full address.

Thank you. If this is the reason why you guys haven’t been responding to the questions about stocking I’m very sorry for the constant pestering . I’ll get this done asap

Forgot to mention that soemtimes searching for hardness doesn't give any results. In this case search for water quality.

Ok my hardness is saying 293 ppm, but that's saying in Petts Woods, but I live in Chislehurst and won't come up with Chislehurst's hardness even if I put my full address in. What should I do?

@essjay is a pro at navigating the water company websites, what is the specific water company you are under? I know you are excited to talk about specific fish, just hold tight a bit longer until we get the water thing figured out and then the world will be your oyster.

If you are considering any tetras, I was doing some research on them the other day and a lot of them can take very wide ranges of hardness, so since it sounds like your water is towards the harder end, something you can look into (if that's something you're interested in) are picking some tetras that might work in harder water.

Something that is helpful if you have a lot of different fish in your mind is to make a spreadsheet or chart with the different fish and their parameters so you don't have to try and memorize everything :)

@essjay is a pro at navigating the water company websites, what is the specific water company you are under? I know you are excited to talk about specific fish, just hold tight a bit longer until we get the water thing figured out and then the world will be your oyster.

If you are considering any tetras, I was doing some research on them the other day and a lot of them can take very wide ranges of hardness, so since it sounds like your water is towards the harder end, something you can look into (if that's something you're interested in) are picking some tetras that might work in harder water.

Something that is helpful if you have a lot of different fish in your mind is to make a spreadsheet or chart with the different fish and their parameters so you don't have to try and memorize everything :)

We use Thames Water.

Ok, I wasn't really planning on adding any tetras to the tank I'm more focused on the dwarf chain loaches if I'm honest.

Most reactions

Back