Are these EGGS

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I thought angels didn’t Eat their eggs. I guess she was doing a little more than cleaning them. Perhaps if this was her first brood she was inexperienced and ate them.

well if they're angel eggs, I guess they couldnt have been fertile so it doesnt matterl

Tetras don't lay eggs on glass, Corydoras do. The only characin (tetra) I can think of that lays eggs on a hard surface are splashing tetras.

I thought angels didn’t Eat their eggs.
Domestic angelfish are artificially reared in Asia. The breeders take the eggs from the parents and hatch and rear them in glass tanks. Subsequently, the babies never see their parents and don't get parental care, and they don't give parental care to their own eggs or young for the first few batches.

After they have had a few batches they usually stop eating the eggs but then they eat the babies when they start wriggling. After a few more batches they usually work out they shouldn't eat the babies and that's when they start to look after their young.

Compare that to wild caught angelfish. Wild caught angelfish are reared by their parents and they usually make good parents and rarely eat the eggs or young.

I agree with Colin and others that the eggs are from the female angelfish, and for the same reasons they mentioned.

One thing not mentioned so far is how to find a male mate. This is not easy, given the circumstances. Just putting in a male may or may not work.

Angelfish must select their mates from the shoal, and they will bond. The bond may last or sometimes not, depending upon the individual fish. If it does not last, or the two fish are together but do not bond, one of them, usually the female, will soon be dead if she remains in the tank (his space).

Any two fish (male/female obviously) may spawn a few times but still not be bonding. If this occurs, at some point the male will have had enough and again the female (usually) will be driven from the male's territory (which in most cases is the entire tank space) and killed if she does not vacate thee tank.

Finding a male to bond would mean putting several males in with the female and observing until a pair forms, if it does. If this female is ding well, it may be best to leave her alone. She is obviously not under stress now, which will almost certainly not be the case if you do add a male.

The Angel ( named Sunny) is the boss of the tank. At feeding time she will often shoo away the other fish including the serpaes and the skirt tetras. And she is ALWAYS hungry. Anytime I go near the tank, she moves from side to side begging to be fed. I've had her about 4 years now and she's always been seemingly healthy.

The Angel ( named Sunny) is the boss of the tank. At feeding time she will often shoo away the other fish including the serpaes and the skirt tetras. And she is ALWAYS hungry. Anytime I go near the tank, she moves from side to side begging to be fed. I've had her about 4 years now and she's always been seemingly healthy.
In that case leave her be. No point in risking fish deaths to fix something that aint broke.

She feels broody and wants to start a family. See if the local fish shop has any angelfish her size and buy a few. Ask the shop if they will accept the others back when she has paired off.

Alternatively, ask if you can put her in the shop tank with their angels for a week so she can pair off. However, make sure they don't sell her.

I really don't care to breed the angel as I don't have the room for more. And I would not risk giving it to a LFS to pair up as they may well accidentally sell it. And my guess is they would not want to do it anyway. And I would not want to risk moving her to a lfs which could affect her health.

Last edited:
well...I won't have to worry about cleaning off the remaining eggs..."Sunny" devoured the rest of the eggs. She's kind of like a perpetual motion machine...she lays eggs, eats them, and has more energy to lay more eggs..and so on...and so on....:D

on another note, my black skirt tetras seem pretty "frisky" lately...could the eggs be from the skirt tetras?

Last edited:
Most South American cichlids stick their eggs to hard flat surfaces. Angels, Discus, convicts, Oscars, Apistogrammas, Severums, Festivums, etc all lay their eggs on hard flat surfaces.

Tetras, barbs, danios, rasboras, rainbowfish and hardyheads all scatter their eggs over plants or the substrate. The only tetra that sticks eggs to hard flat surfaces are Splashing Tetras, which stick their eggs to plant leaves that are just above the water surface. Then they splash water onto the eggs to keep them wet. When the eggs hatch the babies drop off the plant leaf and land in the water.

The eggs on the glass belong to the angelfish, who is feeling broody and wants to start a family. They are not tetra eggs.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back