🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fishmanic

TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
B3410AB1-18E3-4393-9198-D2304F5DB4C5.jpeg
In the tank are 3 black skirt tetras, 5 serpae tetra, 1 Angel fish, and one bn pleco. I saw these today on the glass of my 35 gallon tall hex tank. What are they?

If they are eggs, I don’ know much about caring for them. Any hints.

They are eggs and the clear ones are fertilized. Tetra eggs. Since they are attached to the side, they’ll probably get eaten. If by chance, you can gently remove them with a net then you can place them in a QT tank half filled with water. Then watch them hatch. I have removed some before but easier if in a plant that you can lift out. Check the plant and see if any clear ones in it. They’ll hatch in a couple of days and you’ll find tiny lines on your glass which will be the fry. About 2 or 3 days after hatching you’ll have to start feeding. Hikari First Bites are easy for fry to eat. It’s a powder.

Last edited:
are they skirt tetra eggs or are they serpae tetra eggs? My angel is nimbling on them occasionally. Can I scrape some off the glass and put into my hospital tank? Otherwise I think they will get eaten by the angel or other fish.

Can I ground up flake food very fine into a powder and feed that? or do I have to get first bites food?

Not sure which type tetra they are. You can try to gently remove some and place them in hospital tank. What’s it going to hurt? They’ll get eaten otherwise. I would buy the First Bites. It will grow them better. Petco has it pretty cheap.

They are angelfish eggs and the female angelfish is cleaning them when she nibbles on them.

Tetra eggs are not sticky and sink to the bottom.

You need to find your angelfish a boyfriend.

Deanasue says the clear ones are fertilized. How can that be as the angelfish is alone.

They won't be fertilised. The clear ones just haven't gone white yet.

So I guess my angelfish must be happy and healthy. I fed her bloodworms one day and freeze dried brine shimp the next day as well as the usual flakes.

If she had a boyfriend that she liked, she would be happier :)

If you want to breed fish, you should increase feeding to 3-5 times per day to help them gain weight and condition. Do this for at least 2 weeks before they breed and you get more eggs and healthier young.

You also do lots of big water changes to keep the nutrients down while feeding more :)

@Fishmanic...This is all I could find but shows eggs are sticky.

The black neon tetra is an egg scatterer, laying adhesive (sticky) eggs over plants, etc. One female can produce several hundred eggs. The parents will eat their own eggs and babies, so it is normal to remove the parents after spawning.

But also, from Seriously Fish
"Angels spawn on vertical surfaces such as slate, broad-leaved plants or even the aquarium glass."

It's because these eggs have been laid on the vertical tank wall that made me think of angelfish eggs even before i read the fish that were in the tank.
There are many reports of females laying eggs with no male in the tank - google is full of them.

Could be angelfish eggs then. Both species can lay on glass. With so many in one place, they may very well be angelfish. In goldies only the fertilized will be clear. The unfertilized turn opaque.

well, all the clear eggs have disappeared...and I caught the Angel nibbling on them this morning...guess she had a good breakfast of sunny side up eggs.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back