Are feeder fish legal ?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

do think feeding live fish should be legal?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes

• Total voters
Nice bit of reserach there Black_ angel.

so you can feed live fish to others in the UK as long you don't do it in a cruel way?? or did i miss the point in there.

1 other point to bring up though why isn't it illegal to feed invertebrates like crabs.....surely they have as much right to not be fed as vertebrates!!

Bryan said:
In the wild fish like Oscars hunt, eat live fish. As a fish owner I want my fish be as happy and live as natural as can be. I think they need the chase and kill, to make them happy/healthy (happy is healthy).
If your going to make it wrong to feed fish to fish, then it should be illegal to sell fish like Oscars that need live fish.
Oscars in the wild mainly feed on terrestial insects which are on or just above the waters surface (as their upturned mouth and surface dwelling habbits would suggest). They will of course feed on small fish if given the oppertunity but are not hardcore piscavors so do not NEED fish in their diet, in fact the best diet you can give your oscar is one of large invertabrates like worms, crickets, mealworms and locusts.

I believe that the law was passed in the UK to prevent badger baiting, hare baiting etc. It's not a law that was meant for just fish keepers, our hobby just happens to be enveloped by this law. We own vertebrates and as such should abide by the law. Sometimes we make bad choices in the fish we keep (or are plain unlucky with a particular fish) and one fish kills or eats another. I doubt there's a court in the country that would convict soemone for a genuine mistake (but you never know). I'd be interested if anyone here in Britain has been to a shop that openly sells 'feeder fish'. I know I haven't.

WK

The-Wolf said:
Look, it is quite simple.

Both the R.S.P.C.A and DEFRA have deemed the feeding of live vertibrates to other living animals is cruel. The house of commons and house of lords aggreed and passed the law.

It is therefore, illegal in England, Northern Ireland and Wales to feed live fish to other fish. I belive it is the same in Scotland, but Scottish law is often different to the rest of the UK.

Wether you aggree with the law or not is not the issue, the fact is that it is law and you should follow it.
BTW ignorance of a law is not a good enough defence in court.
- its all to do with sentinent life, whether an animal feels/registers pain or not, and the difference is whether an animal has a central nervous system or not.
This is further defined as those animals with and without backbones; those with are what we are talking about here.

I think its less to do with the feeding and more with cruelty, as has been mentioned here.

timmy as far as i know feeding live animals to snakes is not allowed in this country, though i have to still find something where its written.

grim reaper, as far as i can see it would be ok to feed dead fish but who would want to feed a possibly diseased fish to another, it doesnt make sense.

Black Angel I'll be interested to see what you find on live feeding. I would have thought your earlier post suggested it was OK? If it's OK to live feed fish why not rodents to snakes?

Personally I'm 99% certain it is legal as the only law relating to this is one of cruelty. If you can feed a prey animal which is dispatched quickly by the predator then there is no cruelty involved.

this is part of the minutes from the animal welfare bill being discussed just now in parliament.the transcript below is taken between the chairman who is going to set the bill for parliament and a member of the pet shop trade who either agrees or disagrees with the part of the bill going forward, and was taken a few months ago.
"
Q162 Chairman: I think we have the message that there are two different perspectives on this and we will reflect carefully on them. I want to move on to the question of the feeding of live prey to some of these exotic species because Clause 2 of the Bill deals with matters connected with fighting and the herpetologists' evidence talks about some of the behavioural patterns that may require animals to be put together, different species, for various reasons, and I wonder if you would care to comment on whether there is a conflict between the "natural" way these animals exist and feed and the terms in Clause 2 of this Bill.

Mr Newman: The issue we have is on the welfare Clause, Clause 3(4)©, the need to be able to exhibit normal behaviour patterns. That is really where part of this is coming from. The feeding of live prey to reptiles is extremely rare. Ten years ago it used to be common practice. In many parts of the world, Europe, Holland, France and Germany, it is still the most common way of feeding. We do not enter into that practice here. 99.8 per cent of what we feed will be pre killed, frozen rodents. On occasion, particularly if we are bringing in new species of snakes or whatever, you may have a specimen which is a reluctant feeder and in those circumstances it may be appropriate to feed a live vertebrate to that animal under controlled conditions. Currently under the 1911 Act it is not illegal to feed a live vertebrate to another unless you cause it unnecessary suffering, so that would have to be the result of a court case and the judge would have to make a decision. Those of us who have been involved with reptiles will argue that a mouse that is being produced for food really has no cognizance of what is going on and exhibits no fear. Whilst we absolutely do not want to encourage live feeding, we think we need some clarity as to whether that is going to be made illegal under this clause of fighting. Our concerns are, because of Clause 3(iv)©, the need to be able to exhibit normal behaviour patterns, that snakes in the wild feed on life prey, there are no carrion feeding snakes, so that would mean we are not going to be able to feed them frozen food; we are going to have to feed them live mice, and equally we would be opposed to having to introduce that. "

the sites for keeping snakes that i found dont agree with feeding live animals to snakes and say they will readily accept humanely killed or de-frosted vertebrates. here is just one example:

The last point to mention is the use of live prey. Nearly all snakes offered should take defrosted dead rodents with little or no problems. The use of "live feeding" should therefore be frowned upon, there is no advantage over dead. Not only is it unnecessary suffering to the rodent, but the snake itself can be severely injured. The author has seen many cases where owners have left a rodent in for their snake to eat only to return to find the tables have been turned and the snake has become the meal. The worst case I have ever seen was an adult Burmese python (Python molurus bivittatus) which had its face and eyes eaten by a rat, the snake obviously did not survive.

so it seems as in the fish feeder arguement that feeding rats, etc to snakes can land you in court if someone saw you feeding them live, and you would have to prove that the animal in question didnt suffer. as i have said, its very much still a grey area and the law needs to determine once and for all whether it is cruel or not to feed live vertebrates to another.

Key quote there.

Currently under the 1911 Act it is not illegal to feed a live vertebrate to another unless you cause it unnecessary suffering, so that would have to be the result of a court case and the judge would have to make a decision

So, If your fish chases its prey and takes out chunks of flesh before it dies, I would consider this unnecessary suffering and would report you. If an angel fish swallows a fry, its a little different, but as a fish keeper, shouldn't we take steps to avoid this?

I don't think pet shops should be allowed to sell animals that won't accept dead food, JMO. Many of those considered to only take live foods can be weaned off them can't they, especially if they are tank bred.

Jon

been surching, and can't find a thing, in pressent law, about this subject.

But I exspect the new Animal welfare bill, will proberly cover it.

and feeding life food to snakes, is wrong VERY wrong. Would you let your lovely pet dog, kill and eat your rabbit for food.

Those who feed live fish to your predators in the UK, please leave your postal address here, and I will pass it on to the RSPCA in the morning.

Thanks

Jon

jflowers said:
Key quote there.

Currently under the 1911 Act it is not illegal to feed a live vertebrate to another unless you cause it unnecessary suffering, so that would have to be the result of a court case and the judge would have to make a decision

So, If your fish chases its prey and takes out chunks of flesh before it dies, I would consider this unnecessary suffering and would report you. If an angel fish swallows a fry, its a little different, but as a fish keeper, shouldn't we take steps to avoid this?

I don't think pet shops should be allowed to sell animals that won't accept dead food, JMO. Many of those considered to only take live foods can be weaned off them can't they, especially if they are tank bred.

Jon
if yur fish cant kill it quickly and painlessly there is nothing you can do about it. There actually are a few predators that wont accept frozen foods one of them being the Leaf fish. You could always feed shrimp right?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back