Are convicts ok .......

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

leroy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Are convicts agressive if u just have one of them in ur tank with medium sized fish? thx for any help.

Leroy I have had 3 Convicts for just about 2 weeks (2x female, 1x male) therefore not an expert but I have learned the following:

All 3 together got on fine until the male picked a female to mate with. Then the other female got a kicking so I moved her.

The lone female is now in a tank with Hero Severum's of medium size. She is no bother and hasn't hassled them. Nevertheless I think anything smaller she would do and she does stand her ground when pushed.

The paried male and female laid eggs that have now hatched. They were great parent until the male started getting aggressive toward the female. Since then have re-housed this female in a tank on her own. Dad is being a good father.

As to your question - my guess is that the male (the bigger) would probably nip anything bigger than a platty and the female likewise.

Hope that garble helps? :/

I'm sure some of the others will shine further light on this issue for us both! -_-

convicts are great fish until they want to mate. they are not harem maters but pair maters. having two females to one male destined the female to get beat on. once a pair has been formed, they grow intolerant of their own kind. when they are mating they are very territorial and have no problems defending their nests. mine will chase away the red devil that i have when they are defending their nest.

another thing about convicts is that they areprolific breeders. unless you have some plan to get rid of the fry, would not suggest getting them. you will be overrun with convicts.

convicts also get nuchal humps. kinda neat to see the little fish swimming around with a large nuchal hump.

semper fi

convict_mom.jpg
The hump on the forehead. :rolleyes:

it is a fatty deposit on the forehead. usually males are the only ones to have these, but captive females have been known to also form nuchal humps.

quite a few of the sa/ca and frontosas get nuchal humps. nuchal humps are usually formed after about a year or so of age.

semper fi

I just got a convict for free yesterday. Its the albino/pink strain and suprisingly very colorful. He has been butting heads with my jack dempsey a bit and bullied by my GT. We'll see how it turns out.

i have found on most occations that the females are normally not as agressive as the males tho during breeding the female can be just as much of a bully. it might just have been a one off please correct me if i am wrong.

the albino's are also called pink convicts. they do have a pink cast to them and are not albinos. the one pictured above is a striped or barred convict.

yes jamnog, females are less aggressive than males except when defending their nest. the male and female will take turns guarding the eggs or fry.

semper fi

Thanks for the info on the "hump" ;)

Flippin thing bit me eye - you wouldn't be the future proud owner of an impressive Jaguar would you??? :grr:

:lol: Crickey I was wonderin when you'd click :D
comin saturday, 3 Redhooks at the moment 4-5", A mate of mine fell in love with sponge (Faithful 14" common plec so I let him take it in exchange fer his Sailfin.
I'll post a pic of the jag soon.
You've never seen one like it :eek:

Most reactions

trending

Back