Aquatic Frogs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I've read a lot of different things in these ACF threads.. I have 1 female ACF, in a 10g. No plants, filters or anything. Eats everything it can fit in its mouth. It eats guppys, floating turtle reptile pellet things, dead fish. I had a cory catfish that got trapped in a tube in my 10g tank with the bubbler and it died, dropped it in, and she ate it in a few seconds, not picky at all. Clean the tank once a month or so and its fine. Heck I had 2 large goldfish in there once, she tried at them a few times, but not really doesn't even care won't go for them.
Neat frogs I gotta say, can't wait to see how she does with some larger native fish.

I had a cory catfish that got trapped in a tube in my 10g tank with the bubbler and it died, dropped it in, and she ate it in a few seconds
Ok, you got lucky there, that wasn't a good idea...
Corys have spines in their pectoral fins that get lodged in other predators mouths.
I had a goldfish try to eat a cory once, that was NOT fun :rolleyes: .
Just so you know in future.

I had a cory catfish that got trapped in a tube in my 10g tank with the bubbler and it died, dropped it in, and she ate it in a few seconds
Ok, you got lucky there, that wasn't a good idea...
Corys have spines in their pectoral fins that get lodged in other predators mouths.
I had a goldfish try to eat a cory once, that was NOT fun :rolleyes: .
Just so you know in future.
ACF's are bottomless pits, it just swallowed the thing whole and let the stomach acid do the work. No issues.

ACF's are bottomless pits, it just swallowed the thing whole and let the stomach acid do the work. No issues.
There could have easily been BIG issues....
Anybody reading this who is considering feeding a living/dead cory to an ACF (or anything else for that matter) don't bother, It's defiantly not worth the risk.

There could have easily been BIG issues....
Anybody reading this who is considering feeding a living/dead cory to an ACF (or anything else for that matter) don't bother, It's defiantly not worth the risk.
I just bought 2 small adf's yesterday and hav e been browsing this thread with interest.

I have in my tank, a Koi Angelfish, 8 Rummynose tetras and 5 Glolight tetras, with 1 albino Cory (My other two are in the big aquarium in the sky :-( )

My tank is 30gallons, so my tank should be large enough, but I am feeding my wee frogs freeze dried bloodworm, I've read conflicting articles on the net about whether they'll eat this or not. Also with a hungry Angelfish around, I havent actually seen my wee boys eating anything yet, they're hiding in my rocks at the moment, is this normal?

I've also had conflicting advice on filters with the frogs, apparantly water flow/current can dissorientate them say some sites, others say water flow is fine!!!

Any advice is very much appreciated.

I am looking at getting a pair of ADF for my 29G tall planted tank.

There are plenty of hiding places and rock, stones, cobbles and loadsa bogwood.

The substrate is sand

The problem may be compatibility.

Would they be safe in this tank with:
4 x pitbull plecs (These are 3" when adult)
10 x Neons (1")
2 x German Blue Rams (3")

I know it says on a few sites not to put ADF with plecs or cichlids but the pitbulls are very small when fully grown and the Rams are said to be peaceful and they also only get to 3"

Last question.
Will the ADFs eat shrimp like ammanos or cherry?

Andy

Another way to id the frogs is to look at eye placement. If the eyes are on top of the head it's an ACF, but if they're on the side, it's and ADF. Hope that helped.

I have 2 gorgeous dwarf frogs in my fairly new tank - a friend of mine told me today that his frogs grew pretty big and ate his fish. I am quite attached to my nice little group of 6 neon tetras and am now scared for their lives!! Will they get eaten by my frogs?

I have 2 gorgeous dwarf frogs in my fairly new tank - a friend of mine told me today that his frogs grew pretty big and ate his fish. I am quite attached to my nice little group of 6 neon tetras and am now scared for their lives!! Will they get eaten by my frogs?

If yours are Dwarf Frogs (Hymenochirus sp) they would be ok with neons, as dwarfs only get to around 4cm, are yours albino? if they are then they would definitly be Clawed Frogs (Xenopus laevis) that get to around 15cm, and will eat anything they can fit into their mouths, neons would be eaten easilly by a adult or subadult, Xenopus can also be brown like the dwarfs though, a good way to identify them is dwarfs front feet are webbed, while Xenopus laevis's arent.

Also, to add to this topic, there are a lot more species of Pipid's available than Xenopus laevis and Hymenochirus sp. though those two are the only ones commonly sold in the Fish trade, for anyone interested in keeping different species, Amphibian breeders usually have several other species available at different times of the year, at the moment I keep Xenopus laevis albino, and poweri, Xenopus muelleri, Xenopus borealis, Xenopus fraseri, Xenopus boumbaensis, Silurana tropicalis and Silurana epitropicalis, I'll try to get pictures of them when I get my new camera to show the differences.

Don't have space otherwise I'd have some already. Found a few sources online awhile back but one is a handful with my other pets right now.

Also, to add to this topic, there are a lot more species of Pipid's available than Xenopus laevis and Hymenochirus sp. though those two are the only ones commonly sold in the Fish trade, for anyone interested in keeping different species, Amphibian breeders usually have several other species available at different times of the year, at the moment I keep Xenopus laevis albino, and poweri, Xenopus muelleri, Xenopus borealis, Xenopus fraseri, Xenopus boumbaensis, Silurana tropicalis and Silurana epitropicalis, I'll try to get pictures of them when I get my new camera to show the differences.
I would love to see them!!! :good:

I have an African Dwarf Frog in a 5 gallon with a betta. I bought two initially but sadly one died mysteriously the day after I got him. Which is weird because the other was and still is perfectly happy and healthy.

hi i bought two dwarfs today. we are in the process swapping the tanks over but we wanted the frogs to get used to being in the tank with our betta asbetta is going to be kept by himself as he is trying to eat my guppies but.... im goin to be going back to the dude where i got them for the bigger tank.

i was concerned at first as me and my dad bred pond frogs and they need to be out of the water where as these dont so im glad this topic is here :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back