Aquatic Frogs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Inchworm

Li'l Ole Fish Lady
Reaction score
These lively little fellows make great pets, but are often mislabeled at the lfs. Do you have either of these? If you have an African Clawed Frog, did you think it was a little Dwarf when you bought it? :huh:

Here's a link with some interesting information about African Clawed Frogs:

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/acco...;narrative.html

How big is your frog and what kind of fish (if any) do you keep it with? :unsure:

Very Good info Inchworm! I have two African clawed frogs. One is about the size of my palm and the other is just a hair bigger! When I bought them they were labeled as Dwarf Frogs, but once they started growing and have not stoped I kinda figured they were labeled wrong. :D They also almost completey wiped out my community tank. They ate most of my Mollies, Platties and Swordtails. I had thought about trading them in or giving them away, but I cant do it! They have grown on me I guess! I love to watch them swim. Now in their tanks with them are some New Guinea Rainbows, Red Tail Shark, Pleco, and some other various bigger fish that people have given me.

I have noticed the same thing with labeling - rarely do they get it right! You've just gotta look really close at the toes - if there's webbing between, they're a dwarf, if not - fish eater! :p I think its odd how often they are mislabled, I always check toes now and then the label. I'm thankful I figured this out before buying my lil guys... :)

Oh crap!!! (as I run to look at the 2 new african dwarf frogs I just put in my 10 gal.) Ok they seem to be of the dwarf variety. Good info to have.

I love my african clawed. I definately didn't mistake him for a dwarf because he's albino (very hard to find in the dwarf variety). I've only had him a few months and he's definately grown since I bought him, but he's still around an inch long (maybe a little more.) He's fun to watch especially when he eats (It's so funny the way he grabs all the food he can with his little hand and shoves it in his mouth, only to pull most of it back out again...okay, kinda gross too. I never said he was clean.)
I wouldn't dare keep him with a fish. He's already killed his other tankmate (also an african clawed that was a little bit larger than him.)
He's a fun little guy, but after he's gone (which won't be for awhile), I doubt I'll get another.
I'd love to find dwarf frogs, but sadly they aren't carried around here.
Yep, the toes are definately what to check. I can clearly see the black claws on my frog's feet.

ok Hmm.. i can't remeber If it has webbing on
the front claws that means its a dwarf right?
I wanna get some after Christmas (with the hope
I'll get some more tanks) :alien:

Nix said:
...If it has webbing on
the front claws that means its a dwarf right?
Hi Nix :)

Yes, webbing on the front claws (his hands) means it's a dwarf. The big ones have pointy fingers. Also, the dwarf frogs have eyes on the sides of their heads while the ACFs have their eyes on top.

You may want to bring a magnifying glass with you, when you shop because they are so tiny and their little hands are hard to see. I just got a new ADF and his body is only about 1/2 inch long. You can imagine how small his hands are. :look:

Inchworm said:
Here's a link about African Dwarf Frogs that I think you will like. It has wav. files of some of them making their calls.

http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/mypets/dwarfs.html

I've heard my ADFs sing, but never my ACFs. Has anyone else?
Yep, when I had two they would sing to each other. It scared the bejeezus out of me the first time. It was really cool though. :) Makes me wish I could get a second one again.

Will ADF's eat endlers? they are kinda small fish can I keep an ADF with my endlers once I get them?

Opcn

opcn said:
Will ADF's eat endlers? they are kinda small fish can I keep an ADF with my endlers once I get them?

Opcn
Hi opcn :)

I'm not sure how big the endlers are, but I don't think my ADF would be able to eat anything the size of a neon tetra or bigger. Their mouths just aren't big enough, not to mention their stomachs! :rolleyes:

I've never heard of them attacking fish, but perhaps someone else has. I'm glad you brought that up. :D

Hi Jht :)

Thanks for the links. :) The first was a lot of fun to browse. The second one has an excellent picture of the hands of the clawed frog that clearly shows its unwebbed fingers.

Inchworm:

Since you seem to know your stuff about these frogs. :D I have another question. Why do they grab onto each other? I dont think they are trying to breed but I could be wrong. They do it constantly! When I try to take a pic they usually seperate. Thats another reason I dont think they are breeding. They seperate when there is food or a camea. I had a hard time finding a pic online, but I have finally found one. See how the rear frog grabs around the other frog with it's arms. Right behind the other Frog's hind legs.

logo.gif

How many aquariums do you have inchworm? I know you have the Cory's and the frogs! It's addicting isnt it? :D I want to get a few more Albino/Bronze Cory's, but the LFS has not had any good looking ones come in. They look kinda poor.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back