nitrate 5
pH 6.8
temp 25

fish etc:
4 peppered croys
2 golden zebra loaches
6 black skirt tetra
2 dwarf froggies

I got the frogs yesterday, they seem ok i think ive seen them a bit, but there hiding mostly, as expected though as there getting used to their new home,
just a quick question about feeding them, i have some frozen bloodworm cubes, im going to feed them today how do i do it? do i defrost them first? how do i stop the fish eating the worms before the frogs?

Look forward to your replies, cheers
x x x :)

Hi Bex

I have 3 ACFs and I normally defrost the bloodworm first, I put the cube in an old egg cup and leave it to defrost for about an hour, It should just sink straight to the bottom when defrosted giving your froggies a chance to eat it before the fish can get at it.
Hope this helps you.
:nod:

Hi l_oz :)

If it's an aquatic frog, it's definitely an African Clawed Frog. The smaller African Dwarf Frogs are never an albino or "golden" color.

They are great pets, but don't plan on keeping it with your tropical fish. :no:

thanks i did a little digging around after i posted and i kind of came to that conclusion. he hasnt attacked anything yet, but he's still only small.

However i have a bit of a problem - i have had it 2 nights now, and both times he has escaped out of the tiniest of gaps at the back of the tank where the wires trail out. Why is he trying to escape? Do they need dry land once in a while? Guy in pet shop told me no, he said they just go to surface for air and are happy like that. But he's jumped down 2 flights of stairs i found it outside the front door!
They are great escape artists
:nod: one of mine escaped the first night i had mine and i was searching everywhere.Luckily i found it before it dried out i now have all gaps sealed :rolleyes:

Hi again,
since my previous post on this topic (see above),
i have only seen 1 of the frogs i purchased, searched for the other one everywere but cant find it! tank is fairly big though so it might just be hiding.
Also fed them some bloodworms today, unfortunatly the greedy fish got to most of them before the frog but he did manage to get about 5 is this enough for him? or should he be getting more? any ideas on how to stop fish gobbling them all?
also how often shoul i be feeding the bloodworm?
thanks x x x :thumbs:

Hi again,
since my previous post on this topic (see above),
i have only seen 1 of the frogs i purchased, searched for the other one everywere but cant find it! tank is fairly big though so it might just be hiding.
Also fed them some bloodworms today, unfortunatly the greedy fish got to most of them before the frog but he did manage to get about 5 is this enough for him? or should he be getting more? any ideas on how to stop fish gobbling them all?
also how often shoul i be feeding the bloodworm?
thanks x x x :thumbs:

Hi Bex
Im not an expert on ACFs as ive only had mine a little while.
I have one albino acf who is about 3 and half inches long when stretched out and I feed him every other day, he will eat an entire cube of bloodworm, I also have 2 baby acfs which are about 4 centimetres long and I feed them every day, they will eat half a cube between them, 5 worms to me is not enough, but then mine might be greedy frogs, the babies by the way are in a tank by themselves and not with the big one otherwise he would eat them aswell as the worms. So the babies get enough each I use tweezers to put the worms right in front of them, this works well for me and I then know that they have both eaten well.
I did keep ACFs a couple of years ago when I was wrongly advised that I could keep them with my fish and within 2 months they started attacking and eating my fish so I took the frogs back to the shop. They do grow very fast so I dont think it will be long before you start losing your fish if you keep them together.
I hope I have been of some help to you. ;)

Hey thanks for the advice, :thumbs:
bit of confusion though probably my fault, i have african dwarf frogs that dont grow that big, not the clawed ones that grow larger! :*)
anymore advice appreciated, thanks again,
x x x x :)

Hi bex1 :)

I've always preferred keeping the little ADFs in tanks by themselves. Then they don't have to compete with more aggressive fish for food.

If you happen to live in a place where you can get live blackworms or tubifex worms, I think you might find that they are easier to feed. They have to be well cleaned before feeding, but they have the advantage of staying alive in the water which means you don't have the problem of them going bad if you overfeed with them. They will go into the substrate and the frogs will find them and eat them at their leisure. :D

hey
unfortunatly i dont have another tank for the frogs to be seperated, but all the fish in there are community fish and dont attack them, there just greedy!!
my lfs doesnt sell live food unfortunatly.
he does get some of the bloodworms but yesterday he only got around 5-6 would this be enough for him if i only feed them every other day?
Thanks for all the advice :thumbs:
x x x x x :)

also if i do find some live food for sale for them how do i clean it?
thanks x x :D

I have known Dwarf claweds to take fish the size of a neon ,i always keep my frogs seperated from my fish.for feeding you could always try the aquatic amphibian pellets the No1 size is small all mine love them

its says on the link on the first page they require temps of 16* can some one please tell me what is recomended as i am getting loads of different responses for the temp of these frogs.

Hi Dany,

A store near me is owned by a marine biologist (meaning im most likely to trust her information, though granted we can all make errors) and she sells these frogs too (I bought two of them last weekend.) Her tank they are kept in is fed from the freshwater filter supply at 25*C and I asked her about keeping them with my community fish. She said they are great, but when they get to a bigger size, my neons may need to watch it if they get hungry, but the gouramis and zebra danios are safe as they are too big, but other thank that, a community freshwater tank of 22*-26* they will quite happily live in.

with feeding them, im still working out how to clean live bloodworm, and have gone for the coffe filter approach. filter the live food, then filter with some fish tank water, feed. I tend to leave the feeding of the frogs till last in the day, when the other fish have been given two feedings already. i put in some flakes for the comm fish then drop in either pellets or bloodworm. the frogs find them invariably but i live on the edge and leave it over night before "fishing" anything un-eaten with a very small fish net.

I do have a question thoughfor everyone on these frogs: whats there temprament to aquarium salt? I currently add this for my other fish but put off doing it today as im not too sure if the frogs will be ok with it. I only put in half the recommended dose anyway, not the full dose.

superb emma, was wondering if one of them would be added sometime soon, interest in them seems quite high.

Just a quick question!! Do I need a filter with 4 ADF's in a 5 gallon tank? :D

the frogs are air breathers too so its not essentil but they are messy and it is beneficial. an air driven sponge filter should suffice

The link supplied doent mention cycling the tank? do the frogs produce amonia like fish? and are tehy delicate when it comes to high lvls of amonia? and one last thing are they best kept in groups or singular?
Greg. B)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back