Aquatic Frogs

the frogs can be kept in single numbers, but perform best in a tank in at least a couple - if you get a male - female couple, you get to hear them singas a mating call!! its really sweet.

they do produce waste that breaks down to ammonia and they are quite bad at that. I have known a few people now to keep them in unfiltered tanks with weekly 100% water changes (as they keep them with bettas) so they must be fairly resilient in my opinion to ammonia & nitrite but i prefer to keep the tank filtered anyway, inc in my betta/ADF tank now. however, this tank did mini-cycle recently produce 1.5 ammonia and 1.0 nitrite and they seem to have survived this quite well.

Personally, I have 3 ADFs and 1 betta in the tank, but im going to increase this next month to 5 ADFs to balance out the food, im currently haveing to fork out for live bloodworms as i can leave them in the tank for however long it takes these guys to eat them, unlike frozen etc.

I have 3 adf's with my dwarf puffer, Missy. And I did do the research to make sure we got the right ones first! The kids wanted them, they are one of the few critters that can live with a dp because dp's will nip the fins off of fish, and they like a lot of the same foods. I have seen mine eat frozen bloodworms, and the frog bites are all gone although we don't see them eat them out of the dish, someone is eating them.

ive seen a few places online also list them as maximum size 1-1.5" however the store I got them from and another ive seen and a few other places list them as 2.5"

anyone got a real-life answer from their own?

I've had my ADF for about 4 - 5 months and i'd say he's stopped growing at 2", but it depends how you measure the size, as when they extend their legs they are twice the size of when they are just sat normally.

yup, i dont include the legs, we dont measure a humans height with their arms in the air... :lol:

Watch walmart....our walmart had albino clawed frogs labeled as dwarf frogs!

although we do measure their social abilities with how high their legs go in the air :lol: :lol:

I have a question... sadly, my son's little ADF died yesterday. :(

We're going to bring a sample of the water to the pet store and have it checked before replacing the frog, but we were wondering... would two frogs in the tank be too many?? Maybe the ADFs are better off with a friend of their own kind??

My son's setup is listed in my signature. This is his, my husband's and my first experience with keeping fish. We hope the death wasn't caused by anything we did or didn't do. :(

Thanks.

Emmm...you seem to be WAY over stocked already. You need to get rid of some fish, sorry :(

Also, did you know chinese algea eaters get aggressive when they grow up, get to 11" and alone need at least a 25 gallon tank.

The general rule is 1 fish per gallon, although that depends on the tank really and i dont like that rule anyway.

EDIT: I meant 1 inch :).

Emmm...you seem to be WAY over stocked already. You need to get rid of some fish, sorry :(

Also, did you know chinese algea eaters get aggressive when they grow up, get to 11" and alone need at least a 25 gallon tank.

The general rule is 1 fish per gallon, although that depends on the tank really and i dont like that rule anyway.

The general guide is one inch of adult size fish per gallon, though this only applies to slim bodied fish which grow less than 3 inches.

:D

Now that my 150L Asian community tank is up and running, my other half would love to keep some African Clawed Frogs. We have space for another 150L tank of the same type to house them, but I'd like some advice on which fish (If any) I could keep with them? I was thinking of mainly an African type of set up, either a Malawi Cichlid tank, or a planted tank with Congo Tetra and such. Which would best suit the frogs, and, crucially, which would be least likely to provide them with free-range lunch?

from some people I know with this setup have found luck with medium aggressive fish, quick enough to evade the frogs but slow enough not to get them themselves. though they do say neither should have a bigger mouth than the other.

it is in no way a guarantee that this would work for others though.

This is for ToWnPrEp:

I would put in a filter on the safe side because they can get very sick and die from sickness due to the water...chances are that your water would be better off and cleaner with a filter than without one.
I also recommend that you get a bigger tank. Five gallons for 4 dwarf frogs is a bit small. Try a 10 gal. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back