aquarium sand types

icedmilk001

New Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2021
Messages
10
Reaction score
3
Points
1
Location
hong kong
F22748A1-2D82-47D1-9D2A-A659FFBBA6F1.webp
B723265A-93C4-490E-BE1C-FF42CE730A2C.webpCD46D8F5-D71F-4FE1-B0E2-0C74DB175E03.webp
F22748A1-2D82-47D1-9D2A-A659FFBBA6F1.webp
F22748A1-2D82-47D1-9D2A-A659FFBBA6F1.webp

I recently got 4 blood parrots, and they seemed to really like pushing things around the tank, so I threw in a couple of pebbles, which they like.

i’ve been told that these blood parrots like digging sand, and I would like to know which type of sand fits best for these fishes, their ease of maintaining and the tank.

Any tips will be appreciated!

B723265A-93C4-490E-BE1C-FF42CE730A2C.webpCD46D8F5-D71F-4FE1-B0E2-0C74DB175E03.webp
 
The easiest and cheapest is to get "play sand" (I don't know if they call it that in Hong Kong) from a hardware store. Rinse it thoroughly until the water runs clear before you use it.
 
just have normal white light above the tank, it's better for the fish.
 
The easiest and cheapest is to get "play sand" (I don't know if they call it that in Hong Kong) from a hardware store. Rinse it thoroughly until the water runs clear before you use it.
we don’t really have hardware stores in the traditional sense, but i get what you mean. Thanks!
 
Is that a fluval flex 123? The only reason I ask is if it is, it will be unsuitable for your 4 blood parrots long
 
I have a small group of blood parrots. I use Playground sand I buy at Lowe’s, $5 for 50 pounds. Has to be thoroughly washed. I place all I can carry in a 5 G bucket, take outside & fill with water from the hose. Swirl & repeat & empty until dust goes away & water is clear. Necessary to add a few cups of sand every so often as some is lost to vacuuming. I dump the sand in at substrate level.

Very interesting about the stones! I have some sitting around & am wondering now if they’d pose a hazard to my much bigger fish in the tank, as in would they try to eat them? Maybe I should find some bigger stones.

Yes! Cichlids are excavators. They dug up the plants, so now I have some tied to vertical acrylic poles.
 
View attachment 148846View attachment 148847View attachment 148848
View attachment 148846View attachment 148846

I recently got 4 blood parrots, and they seemed to really like pushing things around the tank, so I threw in a couple of pebbles, which they like.

i’ve been told that these blood parrots like digging sand, and I would like to know which type of sand fits best for these fishes, their ease of maintaining and the tank.

Any tips will be appreciated!

View attachment 148847View attachment 148848
I like your tank
 

Most reactions

Back
Top