AquaClear HOB Filter Basket

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dsm7

Reaction score
This may have been discussed on the forum at some point, but I am trying to troubleshoot the issue of the baskets in my AquaClear HOB power filters occasionally rising, pushing the lid off, and (sometimes) causing water to overflow along the back of the filter.

Thought I try to rinse my filter media every 1-2 weeks with cycled aquarium water, it seems as though gunk still manages to form at the bottom of the filter media compartment, including under the sponge and the basket. It is my understanding that this can block the flow of water that gets forced under the basket, so that it can't matriculate up through the sponge and flow and other media and flow back into the tank as intended.

Based on this, I was wondering if the basket is really necessary, as this is what seems to be the real source of the problem. Though there still may be some excess particulate caught under the sponge, I don't think it is likely that it would impede the water flow so significantly as the grate on the basket does due to the relatively small stamped cutouts.

Has anyone given this a try / does this logic make sense? If not, would you be willing to share your methods of resolving this problem if you've encountered the same issue?

Thank you!

It's either the sponges getting really dirty, really fast, or air getting into the sponge. If the sponges are clean when this happens, it is air leaking into the filter somewhere, usually around the intake tubes or the o-ring around the motor where it attaches to the filter case. A thin layer of Vaseline on the o-ring usually fixes that part. The intake tube will have to be checked for cracks or leaks.

I used to put a piece of cardboard that was taped up, between the plastic bracket that holds the filter base away from the glass tank, and the glass side of the aquarium. It would make the filter sit on a slight angle and excess water would flow into the tank instead of on the floor.

On my AC filter i use a sponge then floss and then a bag of ceramics on top. . The ceramics weigh down the media and lessens basket / media rising. Always adjust angle of filter slightly inward. Then if it were to overflow, the water would go back into the tank instead of the floor.
I would continue to use basket.
Every 3rd or fourth week you should rinse media in tank water and replace floss if you use it.

Last edited:
It is the sponge becoming clogged; one of the many reasons I ditched sponges long ago, and use poly batting instead...change out with a fresh piece during weekly WC's; cheap, easy, and no nasty sponges to deal with anymore

You need/want the basket. I'll confess that I'm confused as to why your sponges plug so quickly. I let my AC filters (filled completely with sponges) run forever and a day until the flow is very reduced and I never see the problem you describe.

Depending on the age of the filter it should have 1 of 2 methods to push out the bottom of the filter so the top tilts towards the tank. that will force the water to run downhill into the tank if the basket rises.

Either there is a tab on the front of the motor and you can break off smal pieces to set the degree of the tilt. The other option is a removable piece thet inserts under the fron of the filter body and holds it away from the glass. This piece can have the aggnle changed by removing it and returning it with a larger spacer oriented.. It has several spacers available based on how you insert the peg into the receptacle for it under the filter box.

I am down to just 17 Aquaclears now but I used to have closer to 30. I have had the baskets rise up in anything smaller than the 70 (300gph) but never had water go anywhere but the tank when it happens.

The finer the sponge, the faster it clogs. I use a lot of Poret foam instead of the AC sponges though. I prefer the 20 ppi foam. I also load almost evry AC the same- two foam blocks and some floss in between. I do not clean floss I replace it. It is too much work to rinse it when you have lot of filters.

ps In cases where the spacer has broken or been lost, I jury rig something to serve the same function.

Most reactions

Back