Aqua One - Regency 120

Schmill

Fish Herder
Joined
Apr 9, 2008
Messages
1,329
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Location
GB
At the weekend we took the plunge, and purchased a new tank.
We opted for the Aqua One Regency 120, which is a 300 Litre tank (quite an increase from our current 60L tank!)

The supplier assembles everything and delivered it assembled, so all we had to do was put the tank on top of the cabinet (then connect filter cables etc, but no cabinet or tank assembly), and because of this I have a few questions...
These are probably answerable by others who have this tank, but anyone who knows can answer of course!
I understand there are a few variations of it, so to be clear mine is the one with a plastic hood, that has the T5 lighting bar sat across the middle of it from one end to the other, and then two co-ordinated plastic flaps on the top, one at the front, and one at the rear.

FILTER

The tank comes supplied with lights, filter & heater. However the filter that has come with the tank is an Aquis 1200, and says on the front of the box, "Suitable for tanks up to 250L". It seems strange that this has come packaged with a 300L tank... Is this normal or has the supplier provided the wrong filter?

COVER

The cover is the only form of condensation protection, and the front, sides, and top all seem relatively ok. However along the back edge of my cover I have a rectangular hole that is about 4" long at one end of the tank and one that is at least 12" long at the other. I know I need to get pipes and cables in / out of the tank, but this seems excessive. Do the tanks come like this or has my supplier decided to hack extra sections out the back of my cover?
It just seems that with the holes there at the moment its going to force any condensation to go up the wall behind the tank and make it damp?

If these holes are normal do people generally cover them somehow or something? I am thinking of buying some perspex and sealing it over a section of the hole, but that seems like an awful bodge to an expensive new tank!
 
Hi,

I have an aqua one royal 120 which is a 290 litre bow fronted tank. Beautiful tank, but ... they seem to have a cut a chunk out of the back section which -- for no apparent reason -- and it has weakened the hood. It actually broke and I had to use a piece of wood to prop the hood up. It all looks fine and given it's size, and the fact I ordered it from the internet, I didnt' want to try to return anything.

Also it came with two heaters and an external aqua one canister filter. I'm sure the filter works OK, but looks rather cheap compared to my tetratec ex1200. All in all it's a great tank though and much more attractive than the juwel vision 260, and also 30 litres bigger! =)

Glad you got T5s with it too. My tank came fitted with t8s, but given i'm looking after malawi cichlids (no plants) it's ideal.

L
 
So it seems that Aqua One perhaps do take a hacksaw to these otherwise beautiful tanks for no apparent reason ?!? What a shame :(
Do you have any issues with condensation out of the gaping holes?
Still not sure about my filter though, on the Aqua One webiste it says it should have an ADVANCE filter, which isn't what I have, but then again, checking their instructions for the regency also details the old style hood, so I don't know if I have an old filter, or a new filter. Still, seems strange to provide a filter for up to 250L with a 300L tank...

Whats the difference between T5 and T8 lights? This is my first tank using T# lighting, as my previous tank just had a single tube with the push on endcaps. I finally figured out with the T# lights you have to unscrew the collar, then twist the tube and remove, but other than that these are totally new to me.
(Also I seem to have got 2 different tubes in my tank. One really bright white that claims to be a 'plant' tube, and one that is more of a pink coloured light that says it is a tropical light) ??

Thanks again :)
 
Just for anyone else wondering, I've just spoken to the UK group of Aqua One regarding these issues;

Holes in the back

Apparently Aqua One do this to the tanks to allow the tanks to be used for Marine fish, facilitating the use of skimmers etc. All well and nice, but I still wish they had left the decision to me, (perhaps just putting breakout panels into the hood, rather than actually cutting it)

Filter

Again, apparently it is a known issue that the packaging for the Aquis 1200 filter is incorrect. The filter is actually suitable for aquariums of 200 -> 400L

So I guess, I'll fill it, check it, cycle it, heat it, and then see what condensation I get, then think up a solution :)
 
Yes, it's crazy that the back -- on one side on my tank -- is hacked away. I was really annoyed when I first unpacked the tank.

T8 are older lights that are allegedly the same thickness of normal flourescent lighting. I haven't compared. T5s are newer, thiner and have a greater light output. Better for plants, corals etc. The guy at the LFS said that one T5 is equivalent to two T8s, so you're getting twice the light output.

I have actually just swapped one of the lights for a marine actinic to give the tank a really nice blue tint and show off the fish better.

The aquaone cabinets tend to be very sturdy and attractive too.

L
 
Excellent, thanks for the info on the T# lights L :good:

I'd upload some pictures, but I can't seem to remember how to attach directly to this message, and I can't access my photobucket account from work either :(
 
Just realised I never actually put a picture on here in the end!

Well here it is, still fishless cycling, and no plants yet, but up and running, (more pics in my Cycle Log linked in signature) :)

2008-11-05BogwoodIn-FrontBubs.jpg
 
How much you pay for it mate if you dont mind me asking

Im on the look out for a new big tank and that looks like a good one to upgrade to
 
The tank themselves are nice, but I dislike the cabinets as they seem to start having the trim come off when wet, the hoods are either flimsy or sturdy with built-in rubbish filters that leave sharp bits that I frequently cut myself on (works tank, not mine) when working in it... The Exturnal filter is supposed to be good, and I should think it will handle a 300l tank OK :good:

Little tip, tape around all the edges of the cabinet now before they start to look rubbish :good: This should also improve the life of the stand :nod:

All the best
Rabbut
 
The tank themselves are nice, but I dislike the cabinets as they seem to start having the trim come off when wet, the hoods are either flimsy or sturdy with built-in rubbish filters that leave sharp bits that I frequently cut myself on (works tank, not mine) when working in it... The Exturnal filter is supposed to be good, and I should think it will handle a 300l tank OK :good:

Little tip, tape around all the edges of the cabinet now before they start to look rubbish :good: This should also improve the life of the stand :nod:

All the best
Rabbut

Which 'edges' do you mean? There aren't really that many edges on my cabinet as they are all curved:

2008-10-2102BareNaked.jpg


The lid definatly has 'issues' though as I already have little wear marks where the lid flaps rub the main center piece when you open them.
No filter in the hood on this one though as it just has the lighting unit built in and suspended across the tank, also seems fairly smooth (ie. my hand / arm has yet to find a sharp bit - lol)

:)
 
The edges I refur to are the bits where the plastic covering over the wood of the cabinet join together. It looks different to the one work has, its a 980 I think they have. Can't remember the range for the sake of me, but all the plastic over the wood of the cabinet is pealing off due to water getting under it. The sharp bits on works tank are on the in-hood filter bit, which thankfully you don't have :good:

Your's looks like one of the new ranges, where the tank is literaly heat wrapped in the decorative cover, so there may not be any edges to cover on your cabinet. That would be a marked improvement, and something I thought only applied at presant to their UFO range :/

All the best
Rabbut
 

Most reactions

Back
Top