FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ZanaZoola14

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Does anyone know the ability of apistos and rams in the same tank, 30gallon long.
Heavily decorated, hardly space to see from one side to the other. Planing to make it more dense, and plenty of caves (from ground to top of water).
The tree in the centre is flush side to side, and top to bottom, with various plants (like buce, moss and anubias) to make sure it is hard to see through. There are also caves under the tree. The left side is mostly caves and tunnels, whereas the right side also has flat rocks and less caves. There are also lots of leaf litter, covering the whole bottom third of the tank. There is val across the back of the tank, already reaching top to bottom. As well as various plants throughout to help block view (with more on the way). I also have red root and salvinia to add for surface plants, and pothos.

This is only an idea, like to but can not find set ideas on whether good or bad. If it is a bad idea then will scrap straight away.
More curious due to the unset information that I can find about it.

Attachments

• IMG20220714092514.jpg
    IMG20220714092514.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG20220712144100.jpg
    IMG20220712144100.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG20220712135736.jpg
    IMG20220712135736.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 56
I have an Apisto Viejita living with some gold & blue Rams, no squabbles so far. They have been sharing the same aquarium for about a year or so. Originally split tween much smaller aquariums and now in a 200 litre.

They seem to be fine, granted there is the occasional flaring at each other but nothing comes of it. Just be sure to make lots of hiding areas and caves etc Everyone has their space and they swim together or apart as/when they want to.

There is no guarantee that fish will get along with each other...mine are perfectly well behaved, someone else might not be so lucky.

I have an Apisto Viejita living with some gold & blue Rams, no squabbles so far. They have been sharing the same aquarium for about a year or so. Originally split tween much smaller aquariums and now in a 200 litre.

They seem to be fine, granted there is the occasional flaring at each other but nothing comes of it. Just be sure to make lots of hiding areas and caves etc Everyone has their space and they swim together or apart as/when they want to.

There is no guarantee that fish will get along with each other...mine are perfectly well behaved, someone else might not be so lucky.
Alright thanks. My apistos seem to be really well behaved, allowing the other fish to just swim around as they please, including into caves and tunnels. I also have spaces of heavy planting that almost completely break up the sight of the fish.

So, you do gbr instead of Bolivian? And is that the one you'd recommend?

I agree with Colin I'd stick with one species of cichlid in this size tank. Tank looks amazing though! Love all the botanicals you have in there!

Wills

I'm agreeing with Colin and Wills. Breaking up the space is often suggested in a way that makes one think that is all you need, but it is not. Fish communicate not just by sight but reading chemicals called pheromones (read by fish of the same species) and allomones (read by fish of other species). And these can be just as stressful if they are aggressive in nature.

The other thing is spawning. I don't know if you have both genders, or how many, but if you do spawning is likely to occur. When it does, not only the males but females too can become very different fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back