Apistogramma Cacatouides "Orange Flash" Breeding Journal

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Very funny! I went home today and the mom was viciously defending them from her cave - so until free swimming there will likely be no pictures / videos.

BUT, here is a picture of baby Judah!

Attachments

• 0A41CA28-A291-45C7-8F76-94B9561EC6CB.jpeg
    0A41CA28-A291-45C7-8F76-94B9561EC6CB.jpeg
    241.7 KB · Views: 87
Very funny! I went home today and the mom was viciously defending them from her cave - so until free swimming there will likely be no pictures / videos.

BUT, here is a picture of baby Judah!
Beautiful, just beautiful 😍 congratulations to you all x

Beautiful, just beautiful 😍 congratulations to you all x
Thank you, @NannaLou !

We are home and he is doing very well! Now we just gotta keep up with our 2 and 4 yr old!

Here is a video of the babies as of yesterday - they are MICROSCOPIC! I feel like when I used to breed Kribensis the fry were 2x this size when free swimming! They are small enough that they can barely accept BBS!

Thank you, @NannaLou !

We are home and he is doing very well! Now we just gotta keep up with our 2 and 4 yr old!

Here is a video of the babies as of yesterday - they are MICROSCOPIC! I feel like when I used to breed Kribensis the fry were 2x this size when free swimming! They are small enough that they can barely accept BBS!

I could see them 🙂

The fry are officially a little over the 5 day old (free swimming) mark - and they are growing! It much be my impatience, but they seem to be growing slowly.

In the video you'll see little particles everywhere - that is a newly hatched BBS suspension that they are readily eating!

Well... big news!

I moved the parents tonight to a new 10g -- as they spawned two weeks after their first batch, I didn't want to take any chances.

Here is a video of the proud parents:

NOW, for the BIG REVEAL. I did some sprucing in the tank (removed some horrific biofilm that was growing uncontrollably) and I noticed that at least two of the fry seemed to be significantly larger than all the last.

Now, logically I assumed that they were "top dogs" and getting the most food.

WRONG. They, believe it or not, are the two remaining fry from the first batch! I have not seem them before today, so I am unsure if the parents just "never found them" in order to eat them OR if they were okay with their peaceful co-existance.

In my experience with any other cichlid (excluding N. Brichardi), the first batch is eaten once the new batch is free swimming as they appear as a threat. I'm stumped on this one - but excited! Below are some of the pictures I snagged of the two fry.

Attachments

• tempImageEXoigF.png
    tempImageEXoigF.png
    1 MB · Views: 77
  • tempImagewwGgQy.png
    tempImagewwGgQy.png
    951.1 KB · Views: 77
Well... big news!

I moved the parents tonight to a new 10g -- as they spawned two weeks after their first batch, I didn't want to take any chances.

Here is a video of the proud parents:

NOW, for the BIG REVEAL. I did some sprucing in the tank (removed some horrific biofilm that was growing uncontrollably) and I noticed that at least two of the fry seemed to be significantly larger than all the last.

Now, logically I assumed that they were "top dogs" and getting the most food.

WRONG. They, believe it or not, are the two remaining fry from the first batch! I have not seem them before today, so I am unsure if the parents just "never found them" in order to eat them OR if they were okay with their peaceful co-existance.

In my experience with any other cichlid (excluding N. Brichardi), the first batch is eaten once the new batch is free swimming as they appear as a threat. I'm stumped on this one - but excited! Below are some of the pictures I snagged of the two fry.
That's the kind of surprise we like to see. I'm glad you're getting some success, and some luck.

I look forward to seeing how these two grow up.

That's the kind of surprise we like to see. I'm glad you're getting some success, and some luck.

I look forward to seeing how these two grow up.

Thanks so much! I can't imagine how those two larger fry survived - but I guess that's part of their DNA in the wild!

Super excited to see so many happy, healthy fry in a tank. As they begin to mature I'll have to figure out how many I can sell locally v. aqua bid etc.

Here is a more clear picture of the survivor fry (located just to the right of the bio bag):

Attachments

• tempImagewC5mWK.png
    tempImagewC5mWK.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
Well friends - they have experienced a growth spurt! Here they are at 17 days old (from wriggler stage, not free swimming).

In addition - I believe the female has already laid eggs again. She has picked a cave as her home and won't leave - like at all. She will poke her head out when food comes by - but refuses to actually come out. I suspect I'll be seeing more fry soon!

WELL - my suspicion was correct!

I found quite a few wrigglers laying at the bottom of my apisto breeding caves!

I must be doing something right because these guys are really going for it!

Quick update:

I spoke to a good friend of mine (former Moderator on this Forum, Tolak) who used to breed high quality angelfish commercially and apistos on the side.

He recommended that I increase the temp from 84 F to 88F --> and increase the feedings (and thereby, water changes) for rapid growth. He indicated that these temperatures are not too far off what this fish can experience in the wild and that the warmth will speed up their metabolism and help them grow more quickly.

I am now feeding 4-6 times a day and alternating between live microworms and a powdered fry food with a protein content of 55%.

I'll get an updated video up in the next week or so!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back