Api Freshwater Test Kit

Truck

UKAPS
Joined
Dec 21, 2006
Messages
12,999
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
does anyone know if they are suitable for salt water too, because when i looked in the LFS the re agents are more or less the same?

anybody know if i could use the FW test kit for SW?
 
I'm almost certain the answer is no but....If I remember correctly, the only individual test I ever bought was an ammonia test and I'm almost certain the it had both SW and FW charts in it so I think the ammonia one can go both ways but don't think the rest can.
 
I thought that when I looked at the Saltwater kit vs the Fresh water it just had slightly differnt bottles in it, no high PH from memory.

I am no expert but remembering back to my basic chemistry, if it salt water ot not the amount of nitrite / nitrate in the water is going to be measured the same surely? ph is ph though could be different due to the salt.

But I guess you need to wait for some one who knows for sure.

StatMan
 
I just looked at the charts. The nitrite chart says FW & SW so apparently it is good for both. I also just went to their website. From looking at the box photos, the ammoniam, nitrite, nitrate and high pH all say FW or SW on the front while the regular pH says FW. That would make sinse as the pH of salt water is naturally going to be higher and not register on the regular kit that only goes up to something like 7.4.

So I guess the answer is that they can be used for both but the charts may not all be in the FW kit. I only remember seeing one nitrate chart and it says FW on it.
 
I just looked at the charts. The nitrite chart says FW & SW so apparently it is good for both. I also just went to their website. From looking at the box photos, the ammoniam, nitrite, nitrate and high pH all say FW or SW on the front while the regular pH says FW. That would make sinse as the pH of salt water is naturally going to be higher and not register on the regular kit that only goes up to something like 7.4.

So I guess the answer is that they can be used for both but the charts may not all be in the FW kit. I only remember seeing one nitrate chart and it says FW on it.
do they have a UK site?
 
theyre all okay to use with fresh water minus the low range kit, but the colour charts are different and theyre available on the net
 
I just looked at the charts. The nitrite chart says FW & SW so apparently it is good for both. I also just went to their website. From looking at the box photos, the ammoniam, nitrite, nitrate and high pH all say FW or SW on the front while the regular pH says FW. That would make sinse as the pH of salt water is naturally going to be higher and not register on the regular kit that only goes up to something like 7.4.

So I guess the answer is that they can be used for both but the charts may not all be in the FW kit. I only remember seeing one nitrate chart and it says FW on it.

OK so Chemistry lesson memory failed me on the ph couldn;t remember which way the salt would push it!

StatMan
 
i emailed API about it and they said all are compatible excluding low PH and theyre sending me the new cards!!!

kudos to mars fish care (API)
 
They have always been very good about replying to emails. Those cards will be better than what you could print from the internet.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top