Anyone Want To Help Me With A Bit Of An Experiment...

If it works then I'll be needing a few more tanks to test on. :)
Just out of interest what're you setting a new tank up for?
 
To Moose - You know that's not even a bad idea...although if I was to do that I'd probably do it at home. I've got a high enough level of biology to do it myself. The only benefit would be if he has access to an electron microscope and could get me pictures of each bacteria (Yes I am that sad, though in my defence I am starting a genetics degree come september) Hehe.
I'm happy to just try it in a tank environment (seeing as you're cycling anyways), and if it doesn't work then I may well do a few tests myself to find out how quickly the bacteria dies out. :)
 
Curiosity it makes all the difference in the world, if the bacteria can be introduced into the new filter whilst it is still fresh.

I have mentioned this on this board before, I managed to completly cycle a tank in 7 days.

That's right a mere 7 days from filling the tank with water, to getting readings of 0, 0, 0. That was with 5 biggish cichlids that were placed in the tank on day 1.
All I did was squeeze half the filters from 4 established tanks into a bag and immediatly pour the bag's contents into my new filter, then I did 15/20% water changes everyday.

On day 7 I had, as I said, readings of 0, 0, 0.

On day 8 I put a further 8 fish into the tank, and on day 10 my readings were 0, 0, 30.

So I did a water change of 20%.

Now I do a 20% change once a week, I have x8 filtration and all is perfect. My readings never get above 0, 0, 30.

So, media from an established tank makes all the difference. But beware about posting it, it soon dies.

doris
 

Most reactions

Back
Top