Anyone Else Like More Urban Modern Art?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

catxx

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
sometimes funny, sometimes a bit dark, by relatively unknown non-mainstream artists.
artists like D*Face, Banksy, Tado, Touma (site in Japanese), Tara McPherson....the list goes on and on and on and on.

i love this stuff, a little too much! i must have spent well over £400 on designer toys by artists like tado and touma. I've got all the Banksy books, and 2 Tara McPherson prints (one official & signed and other not).

Is anyone else interested in this? Or has just never heard of it? If it's not your thing, why not? Just curious!

Theres a lot of skill in that type of stuff (especially in the first two, which Ive actually heard of before). My problem is that I can seldom relate to it personally, I just dont know how. Its not that I dissaprove, its not that I dont like it, because I really do... its just one of those things that isnt me. I didnt grow up in an urban environment and, to be quite honest, most of the people I grew up with I cant stand anymore (the 24 hour drinking & benefits claims philosophy doesnt agree with me).

The Tado stuff is pretty cute - I like the For Pirates thingy :D

*edit* I read-read this post - Im not in any way suggesting that the urban artists are like hte people I grew up with. The people I grew up with are... well, lets just say that life is very much like a bottle of milk. Not just the cream floats to the top :p

uh...tlp? am i missing something?

PeterM, i get what you mean. i grew up in tiny villages in the essex countryside, but instead of embracing the countryside i went on the net heh! it's a bad bad influence. i've got to talk to a lot of up and coming designers though, they're all sweethearts, and all 30 year old children too. i guess i've always related to never growing up and that's about it.

i've only been to one toy show so far though. was in a tiiiny room just of carnaby street (oxford street, london) and it had free beer. the room was so tiny everyone was in the street drinking beer, like 60+ people, hanging out looking at plastic colourful things (this show was for 8" custom qee toys by all these different artists). it was cool. shame the friend i took with me didn't quite "get" it either! hehe.

i ordered £50 worth of toys yesterday, it arrived today, it was like xmas opening that (BIG) box! i get excited when i see shelves too, thinking how many toys i can cram onto them. i'm so tragic.

*rambles on...*

oo nope i hadn't heard of them. i see some Sam Flores work there though! <3

i was tempted to go to the banksy exhibit but it looked far too simplistic...but then i thought that was the idea, but in the end the lass went with uni and wasn't too impressed.

i'm particularly fond of camille rose garcia at the mo.

i'll get me lass's website link on here if you're intrested?

I read the banksy book in a bookshop (one in the eye of capitalism that) and thought it was pretty good. He's a great artist, but I'm not sure I'd buy the book, as on the whole I don't applaud graffiti.

I read the banksy book in a bookshop (one in the eye of capitalism that) and thought it was pretty good. He's a great artist, but I'm not sure I'd buy the book, as on the whole I don't applaud graffiti.

i guess so. but i'm on banksy's side when it comes to graffiti. i don't like the scrawled amateur tags done by kids, but creative graffiti, proper pictures, something involving skill and imagination, no matter how illegal, i like. i'm with banksy's point of view that corporate companies can emblazon every surface of every building with their slogans trying to make us feel inferior because we don't own their product, but a creative piece of artwork is shot down pretty darn quick. yes there's half a ton of holes in my argument.

everyone who is in london go to stolen space and see dave kinsey's work. it's free and blooming ace

www.kinseyvisual.com

the mrs had shown his work to me a year ago but to see his work in the flesh is amazing. it looks too good not to be photoshopped but it's not!

thanks for the pm.

i'm not so keen on David Kinseys work, it's good, but freaks me out a little!
i was going to go and see that on saturday as i went to the opening of the Gee Whizz (Huck Gee Fundraiser) show at the Old Truman Brewery, but i got there too late. I bought a painting at the Huck Gee show though ^_^

this one!
geewhizz2.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back