any marine fish have babies

In the past I have had damsels (blue devils) that were prolific little breeders. They were constantly "egging" the rocks.

Clowns given the right environment will breed pretty easy in captivity. Pain in the rear to raise the fry though from all I've read. I don't have the time or inclination to try it out.

My cleaner shrimp breed and provide a nice meal to the fish in my tank every so often. :p

you will not be able to raise the babys without special kit, and definaely not in the tank. you also have to grow phytoplankton and rottifers which is a lot of work.

if you get a pair of clowns, they may lay eggs every month or two. it's good fun watching them but don't expect any of them to grow in to new clowns.

i have a pair of clowns but i have never seen any babies or eggs. i dont have an anemone for then do i need one for babies? i have had my 2 clowns for almost 2 yrs now. they were so tiny when i got them now one is huge and the other is smaller but looks and acts great. i have read that the big one is the female and small is the male. they do everythig together swim, sleep, eat. so i beleave that they have paired up male and female.

Nope, no anemone needed.

Yes, your large one is probably female, the other male. In groups of clowns, two will pair up - female and male, and the rest usually remain in a juvenile state which is gender neutral. Exceptions to that happen, but that's the general rule. :)
Once a clown is female they cannot change back to male or gender neutral, they stay female.

If you want them to spawn - high water quality, timed lighting, upped nutrition, and a safe tank are what will usually do the trick. No aggressive fish in with them, not even something small like a damsel.

A smooth piece of tile or a clay pot is usually placed in a breeding tank for them to spawn on.

Then you need to set the mood for them - a bottle of wine and a sexy movie, like 'Body Heat'. :lol: Kidding, kidding.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back