Any advice on keeping A. Calvas or L. Compriceps?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hi,

I ve got a Calvus, nice fish, what exactly do you want to know,
heres a link that is quite useful....

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/a_calvus.php

I have mine in a 25 Gal tank with a Red zebra, Bristle nose Pleco
and Red tailed Black shark (wouldnt recomend the Red tail though as soon as poss I am moving the Calvus and the zebra to a bigger tank).

The Calvus can look after himself and can be quite territorial.
They are good with most Tanganikan specices as they have a good defense mechanism. They chase off any weaker fish and if they cant do this they turn side on let the fish bite at them. They have sharp scales which they turn outwards, the other fish dislike this as their lips get frayed.

What size tank and tankmates were you thinking of??

wow! thats cool.

Mine is going in a 70 ltr tank with 2 L.Leluepi, 2 L.brichardi and 2 J.marlieri.

ive looked at that link before its got a briliant directory.

is that your calvas on your avatar? :huh:

Hi,

Can we rewind just a little bit here............you said 70 LITRES! :blink: .

Please tell me that was a typo and you actually meant 70 gallons. Please!!

steve

the tank isnt that small its about 3ft X 1ft X 1ft;
-lots of caves (slate stacked up creating a wall spanning the length of the tank)
-ehiem classic for a 100ltr tank.
-a few plants
-fine coral sand substrate
:huh:

Heres a pic of the tank before it was a chiclid tank (thats apparently too small :grr: )

http://www.odd-fish.net/galleries/albums/u...Spud%20tank.jpg

theres a cd under th photo for some scale!! :grr:

By the way back then it had a 10inch axelotle in it and she was is as happy as can be in it!!! :grr:

it won't let me see the pic but it wasn't a typo was it??

you DID actually mean a 70 litre tank didn't you!! (i worked out a 3' x 1' x 1' to actually 84 litres)

It is too small i'm sorry to keep a Calvus by itself, let alone with 8 other fish that can reach up to 4-5" in length.

steve

forget the pic. it was crap anyway.

is it ok for the fish that are already in there or should i just scrap the hole idea!!!! :sad:
not one of them is over 2 inches and heared they are quite slow growers.

Please say i can keep them!!! Pleeeeeeeeease!! :-(

70 gallons is enormous, ive only got a weekend job, i cant afford that size tank!!!! :crazy:

They are by a good margin the slowest growing fish I've ever encountered.

They also get on quite well as a group, and I'd say you'll be fine with them for a time to come.

Eventually they'll reach a stage (about 3") when a pair will likely form out of them. At this point it is best to remove the extra's and give the pair the tank. These guys are not that active or large and you'll be able to keep a pair for years in a 3x1 tank, and can include some carefully selected tankmates too.

FYI There is a dwarf version known as a Sombu Dwarf that only gets to 2-3" long would work great for life in a tank this size with other smaller tankmates like shelldwellers.

If its this one....

70 ltr (rift valley):
Psudotropheous Zebra Pair
Julidochromis Marleri(?) Pair
Melanochromis Auratus
Synos X2
Neolamprologus Brichardi
Neolamprologus Leleupi

...i have got to be honest and say I think you are overstocked.

(Just noticed freddyk is reading your post. He will give you a definitive answer...)

EDIT: Told ya!! ;) :p

steve

Is that the70 litre you're referring to?? If so the Baldranger is right, it's already full, and probably going to give you problems in the future as it is.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back