Another Strange Creature Sharing My House!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
spiders have 8 legs, this insect seems to have 6 plus 2 funny long feelers(?).
My daughter suggested this site to id insects:
http://www.backyardnature.net/insectid.htm

That's pretty baccus. For you guys it's "winter" correct? But it feels like our summer?

Nope summer here and feels like summer, our winter is in the middle of the year, if I was in the tropics (rather than just on the tropic of Capricorn) I would say I was in the wet season :nod: .

What?? I'm confused. So you call it summer? I thought the seasons were the same the weather was just different??

What?? I'm confused. So you call it summer? I thought the seasons were the same the weather was just different??

In the Southern Hemisphere, we have the reverse of your Northern Hemisphere seasons. When it is the middle of winter for the US/Europe, we are in the middle of summer. When we are in the middle of summer, you are in winter. So we don't have "white christmas's" and cooking a full-on traditional xmas dinner in the middle of our sweltering summer is NOT fun. :X
We eat copious mounds of seafood, bbq-ed foods, beer and blister ourselves at the beach. We don't do "thanksgiving" either.
Just to make things fun, where Baccus and I live, Queensland, doesnt actually have autumn and spring as such - not like in the Northern Hemisphere, where you have clear cut seasons. Down south (New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania) they have clearly observable springs and autumns - leaves changing color, snow, spring bulbs, etc. Up here, in Central Northern Australia, we have hot and drizzly (spring), hot and humid (summer), hot and dry-ish (autumn) and chilly (winter). Even further north, in the Northern Territory, theres just two seasons: hot and dry and hot and wet (The Dry Season and The Wet Season). I loathe the humidity and dream one day of living in a small cottage on a windswept, sea-lashed bay in some cold, remote place. Tasmania. Or the Hebrides, maybe.:drool:

Oh I knew the seasons were reverse just didn't know you called them in reverse as well.

These frog are becoming a nuiscance...... They attract snakes to my ponds....
100_2958.jpg
IMO thats a good thing :D

This baby Gecko was found in a Daddy Longlegs webb and carefully "unwebbed" with a pin by my wife before it was released.... It is alive and running... I hope it survives....

20120217_19.jpg

20120217_7.jpg

20120217_8.jpg

Cute little gecko, was he just black or did it have some other markings? We just have the pest introduced gecko around here in plague proportions, when I can I catch them and hand feed my resident green tree frogs the geckos. These geckos are well known for shorting out electrical stuff, they seem attracted to power sources and insist on laying their eggs in power boxes :grr: . Anytime you open one of the irrigation controls at work it's nothing to have 5 or 6 of the intorduced geckos run out and a heap of eggs fall to the ground. Sometimes I think I prefer the snakes that also get into the power boxes, at least they are native.

I found this beetle.... (almost an Inch long) at the front door this afternoon..... (unfortunately dead)

I've never seen any of them around here before and wonder what it could be....... It's beautiful..... (topside and below)....

20120229_11.jpg

20120229_14.jpg

20120229_9.jpg

So pretty for a beetle.
I had to have a google & found it looks to be an emerald fruit chafer, quite common in your part of the world apparently?

I noticed this thing sitting behind a flowerpot and after taking the photo...... I saw the other one on the porch..... First time I see them around here.... and then suddenly..... I see 2 of them within seconds.

20120306_4.jpg

20120306_5.jpg

20120306_6.jpg

Pretty little lizards, they look like a bearded dragons in fancy dress :drool: . Do they stay that small, or are they bubs of a bigger lizard?

These are becoming progressively more of a nuisance and have now also discovered my outside fish ponds...... I have no evidence that they've been trying to catch any of the fish, but has become their favourite drinking pool...... They've actually gone into the homes of some of the neighbours and really made a mess of the groceries standing around...... They also remove the lids of the litter bins and strew your whole yard with the contents.....

I blame no-one if they start shooting amoungst them....

This one is on my roof... (there were about 15 of them in my yard this morning)

20120406_4.jpg

20120406_5.jpg

I don't know which would be worse to have as neighbors veret monkeys or Baboons, as bad as each other I think. I did see a docco not so long about the decline in vervet monkeys due to them losing habitat and coming into farms and houses making pests of themselves. So more people are madly killing them.

Your bird feeder will never be safe from them unless you can keep a snake nearby to scare them. Or a leopard.

I love these threads. Keep em coming Ludwig and same goes for your wildlife thread Baccus!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back