Another go: breeding

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tempestuousfury

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
I've got 2 dwarf gouramis in my 10 gallon, with 2 ghost shrimp and an ADF.

I've increased the water temperature, decreased the water temperature, done water changes, lowered the water level to 6" above the gravel, added a large plastic plant and caves... and still no bubble nest.

Possible problems:
He's scared-- he keeps hiding behind plants and inside caves. Solution:?
She's not receptive-- he makes advances towards her, but she swims away. He hasn't built a nest, so why has he started courting her.

Doesn't seem like he has started 'courting' her if she's swimming away :lol: . As long as they're getting along,I would just leave them be and see what happens :)

Ok.

It's just that I've read contradicting literature.

One side states that they require cool, neutral water to imitate spring, whereas the other side states that they require warm temps at around 30 C.

Not sure which approach to take, I'm too impatient. :p

What have you been feeding the pair? Also i think i would remove the frog. Have you put floating plants in or put something there for the male to build the nest under? Has the female filled with eggs? So many questions :p

I've got a large, fine-leafed plastic ploant that bends over on the surface, providing a place to put the nest.

I've been feeding them flakes, frozen bloodworms, and frozen brine shrimp.

I have the frog in there because it's easiest to feed him in there, and if all ges well, I'll have more fry than I can handle, so the frog can catch as many as he likes. :dunno:

I'm not sure if the female is full of eggs. I'm not sure if there's a line that's supposed to be visible, but there's a patch of black at the tail which might be that line. Her abdomen is pretty big, but I'm not sure if it's bigger than it normally is or if she has eggs. :/

Thanks, guys. :D

tempestuousfury said:
I've got a large, fine-leafed plastic pliant that bends over on the surface, providing a place to put the nest.

I've been feeding them flakes, frozen bloodworm's, and frozen brine shrimp.

I have the frog in there because it's easiest to feed him in there, and if all ges well, I'll have more fry than I can handle, so the frog can catch as many as he likes. :dunno:

I'm not sure if the female is full of eggs.  I'm not sure if there's a line that's supposed to be visible, but there's a patch of black at the tail which might be that line.  Her abdomen is pretty big, but I'm not sure if it's bigger than it normally is or if she has eggs. :/

Thanks, guys. :D
You have got to get them to spawn yet you wont do that with the frog in the tank...and the bottom should have no gravel as the eggs will be lost as they fall they breed the same way as Betta's and need warmth about 80 to 82 a clear tank bottom shallow water about 6 inches will do and just left alone to get on with it provide hiding places for the female and plenty of floating plants and when they have spawned remove the female and he will tend the eggs as a male Betta would, unless you do all this then they will never spawn and once you have fry you must remove the male and keep a lid on the tank so the air above it is kept warm and moist or at fist breath they will dye..........hope that helps :byebye:

Thanks for the info. However, I have already thoroughly researched the basic breeding procedure.

As for the gravel, is it safe to leave it in there if I want to keep the number of fry down?

I guess I would move the frog, but feeding it with a turkey baster will be harder in the 5 (no way he'll survive in the other tank).

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back