Angels an Bolivians

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JG77787

Reaction score
Ok so in a couple months I plan to get a 45 gallon tank. And I want fish from the Amazon. I really want angelfish but also would like a Bolivian Ram. Could I have both? what is the most angelfish I could fit with a Bolivian Ram in this tank?​

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

Angelfish and Bolivian Rams can work together in larger tanks, but not here.

Can you post the dimensions of this tank please? We can consider options for the Bolivian Ram.

Angelfish are shoaling, meaning they live in groups. Minimum five, which requires at least a 4-foot tank (120 cm length) with a height of at least 18 inches (45 cm). At six inches body length with a vertical 8-inch fin span, these are not small fish. And the minimum five means squabbles are more likely not to result in dead fish, though there is no guarantee. A single angelfish (depending upon the tank dimensions) might work but I do not recommend maintaining any fish contrary to what they require.

Are you sure the tank is 59 inches tall, not the height of the tank plus stand? That's almost 5 feet, nearly as tall as me! And those dimensions give 123 gallons rather than 45.

Yep sorry correct measurements are 36 12 23 and thats inches. Thanks sorry about that.

OK,. now that is sorted out, this is not suitable for a grop of angelfish as I mentioned previously. But you could have a Bolivian Ram, or a bonded pair. I would not go above this with rams as they are territorial and a male will consider this tank space "his."

Just realized I should have asked initially for the water parameters. GH (general or total hardness) and pH especially of the source water (tap). Some Amazonian fish will have a degree of adaptability, but wild caught fish will not, and I don't want to be suggesting species that will not live healthily.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back