Angelfish Popeye Treatment Journal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ive seem some fish make miraculous recoveries. I wouldnt give up on the fish. Just my opinion.
Did you try the epsom salt yet? Notice any stringy white poo or mucousy poo? or flicking/rubbing recently?
hang in there!
all the best
cheers

Ive seem some fish make miraculous recoveries. I wouldnt give up on the fish. Just my opinion.
Did you try the epsom salt yet? Notice any stringy white poo or mucousy poo? or flicking/rubbing recently?
hang in there!
all the best
cheers

Thanks. I've not managed to get hold of any epsom salt yet but I did have some aquarium tonic salt lying around which I added last night after the water change. I've not noticed any poo at all to be honest, probably because he's not eating. No flicking or rubbing, he's actually behaving pretty normally.

You really shouldnt be using aquarium salt for any sort of bloating/fluid issues. Will make the popeye worse (draws fluid INTO tissues, not out sa epsom salt does...not all salts are created equal). I would not redose the aquarium salt, just dilute it with waterchanges. Use the epsom salt for popeye.
hang in there!
:)

You really shouldnt be using aquarium salt for any sort of bloating/fluid issues. Will make the popeye worse (draws fluid INTO tissues, not out sa epsom salt does...not all salts are created equal). I would not redose the aquarium salt, just dilute it with waterchanges. Use the epsom salt for popeye.
hang in there!
:)

Oh right, oops. Thanks for the info! Another large water change tonight then.

hello Jamepsss,
I keep dropping in on your thread hoping to see that your angel is on the mend.

How are things? Keith.

hello Jamepsss,

How are things? Keith.

Cheers Keith, I've not updated it for a couple of days because there hasn't really been any significant change. The eye has changed a little bit in appearance but doesn't look any better if that makes sense. Maybe it's healing I don't know. I'll get a couple more pics up at weekend hopefully.

hello Jamepsss,

How are things? Keith.

Cheers Keith, I've not updated it for a couple of days because there hasn't really been any significant change. The eye has changed a little bit in appearance but doesn't look any better if that makes sense. Maybe it's healing I don't know. I'll get a couple more pics up at weekend hopefully.

When my female betta had pop eye, I treated her with myxazin (spelling) and after a few days the size of her eye halved. Now at the end of the first week and waiting 2 days there was no more improvement so I treated her again and her eye went back to normal, but I left her alone for a few days just to make sure it didn’t come back. She’s been ok since – that was about 3-4 weeks ago.

hello Jamepsss,

How are things? Keith.

When my female betta had pop eye, I treated her with myxazin (spelling) and after a few days the size of her eye halved. Now at the end of the first week and waiting 2 days there was no more improvement so I treated her again and her eye went back to normal, but I left her alone for a few days just to make sure it didn’t come back. She’s been ok since – that was about 3-4 weeks ago.

Oh right, so you think it might be worth doing another course of the Myxazin then? I've got plenty left so I might do that, cheers. Still want to try Epsom salts too but not managed to get hold of any yet.

If need be I would definitely do a second course. As for Epsom salts I had to get mine over the counter at a chemists (I found this out after driving around for ages trying loads of different places) – I didn’t use it when treating for pop eye though.

This fish has something much more then just pop eye. HITH is when the sensory pits erode away due to poor water quality. The white on your fish head looks like bacteria infection and that would explain the pop eye not getting better. In this case a full spectrum anti biotic is your best bet. Try and get some metro or

I have cured pop eye and hith with clean water and fish vitamins your fish has something more going on. Good luck.

If you can get this stuff it would help.
http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/ParaGuard.html

Seachem has some great fish meds.

hang in there jamepsss if you really care for your fish get your hands on some epsom salts they worked when my tetra had pop eye

If need be I would definitely do a second course. As for Epsom salts I had to get mine over the counter at a chemists (I found this out after driving around for ages trying loads of different places) – I didn’t use it when treating for pop eye though.

I seem to be getting positive (but slow) results with the 50% daily water changes so think I'll hold off on the second course for now.

have you been keeping up on water changes?

Pretty much, 50% a day, only missed 1 day so far.

This fish has something much more then just pop eye. HITH is when the sensory pits erode away due to poor water quality. The white on your fish head looks like bacteria infection and that would explain the pop eye not getting better. In this case a full spectrum anti biotic is your best bet. Try and get some metro or

I have cured pop eye and hith with clean water and fish vitamins your fish has something more going on. Good luck.

If you can get this stuff it would help.
http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/ParaGuard.html

Seachem has some great fish meds.

Thanks. Metro (what's that?) or.... did you miss a sentence out?

hang in there jamepsss if you really care for your fish get your hands on some epsom salts they worked when my tetra had pop eye

Still not managed to get any but hanging in there for sure.

As mentioned above, I'm still keeping up with the 50% water changes as best I can. I'm not adding anything else to the water as this moment in time.

When I started this journal I hoped it would last five days (the length of the Myxazin course) but the problem is lingering beyond belief. I think he's looking a bit better now. He gladly eats Hikari mini pellets and he had a fair few garlic brineshrimps and a few bloodworms earlier. He also 'looks' happier now, swimming around rather than cowering.

P1010215.JPG

From the side he still looks as great as he used to.

P1010216.JPG

But from the front the swelling is still visible but not as bad as a few days ago.

I'm not sure if his eye will ever look the same again though.

Fingers crossed buddy he's on the mend now.

Keith.

Most reactions

trending

Back