Angelfish Death Now Ich.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

NomNomTiger

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have been breeding angelfish for a fair while now. I have a 55g with 2 plecos, 2 dojos and 7 angels. 3 just little juvies. I had 2 others in before but I sold the one as his mate got with 2 other males in the tank and he got beat up. Then a few days later I come home to see the pleco eating my dead veil. He He wasn't beaten up or or anything. Only him and my other guy ever fight and they stopped once they got territory in the big tank. So then a day or 2 later my female whos ex husband was sold now has ich, wont eat, and hides and swims in one spot. I'm increasing temperature. Added pimafix and melafix and some salt in. Only a few pinches. And I took the carbon out of the filter and put in some new filter floss after cleaning all the parts under hot water. I've taken the plants out aside 4 decos. 2 slates, a coral looking thing which has the bubbler attached abd a piece of wood. None of the other fish have the ich but hers seems to be getting worse. Ph is lighter than the card but its yellow so iI'll put it under 7.4-7.8. All the other fish are fine. I cleaned 5 gallons out and replaced it. How much do I need to clean a day? I didn't want to change much on the first day of treatment as I wanted her to get some in her before I switched it more. (I used my last bit of pima and mela). Im thinking of keeping the tank lights off in hopes to lessen the spread.

If one fish has ich all the fish in the tank are or will be infected eventually.  Some fish will have it in their gills without showing spots, on the body.  I'm a bit confused by your treatment. Neither Pimafix nor Melafix treats ich as far as I know.  Also medication doesn't get "in" the fish, freshwater fish don't drink.  Ich can only be killed when it is off the fish anyway, the parasite is immune to all medications while it's on the fish.  Cleaning the filter with hot water kills the biological filter but won't help treat disease.  
Ich can be treated with heat alone, with a combination of heat and salt, or with over the counter chemical treatments.  You have to treat the entire tank, quarantining affected fish is useless.  Everyone has their preference in regards to treating it, but left untreated it is generally fatal.  Research the different protocols so you can decide the best one for your tank.  

I know ot doesnt go in, I just couldn't think of the words. But ive never dealt with ick and I know it gets to all, I have been turning the heat up and adding salt but I read up to quarantine the infected and nothing is helping! My fishes eyes are swollen now im terrified! It's only been 2 days.

OK, if you are certain one of the fish has ich, then you can safely assume they are all affected even if you don't see any spots on them.  As I mentioned, the ich parasite often attacks the gill membranes, fish can succumb to it without any body spots once the gills are infected.  If you haven't added any new fish recently then one of the fish already had it but has some resistance so showed no obvious symptoms.  
Ich has to be treated via the tank, it is impervious to all chemicals and treatments when it is on the fish.  It has a short free swimming period when it searches for a host, that is when heat/salt/chemicals can kill it.  You can quarantine a seriously ill fish to give it extra support, but then you must still treat the main tank as well as the hospital tank.  If the eyes are affected the fish may be having secondary issues due to the weakened condition, or perhaps it had something other than ich to begin with.  
There are very specific protocols for treating ich based on the life cycle of the parasite.  If you don't follow them you won't eliminate it.  Heat alone can kill it in most cases, but it has to be high enough for long enough.  Heat combined with salt is also effective, but again for a very specific time frame.  You need to increase aeration if raising the temp, warm water holds less oxygen.  I wouldn't use Melafix or Pimafix along with heat, since I believe those remedies also reduce oxygen levels.
I'm sorry your fish are having problems, it is always hard to see something you care for suffering. I hope you get it under control.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back