Angel Fry.. New Pics.. 8/1/08

Heather.

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hello everyone.. Im here to show a few pictures of my new angel fry they are around 11 days old and I have around 40.. :wub: ..You can already see some black colouring on some of them..I am feeding them liquifry2 the now..I wasnt planning on having these fry so I have never got round to making bbs yet..

STA41753.jpg

STA41756.jpg

STA41758.jpg

Thanks for looking..Xx :good:

Edit: Here is some babys from my other fry I had a while back..They were so cute..
STA41284.jpg

first of, congrats. from the looks of it, you removed the parent, either that or u transfered the fry. there's one thing you should know. your liquifry wont be enough to sustain them. they will need bbs asap. by right it should be given once they are free swimming. if you carry on using liquifry, there will soon be less than 40.

apart from that, liquifry 2 is for livebearers, which does not include angels. liquifry 1 should be used instead, for the initial stages.

The reason breeders start with bbs is that the motion of live food triggers their feeding instinct. Often they have to learn to eat at first, the live food gets them started in that direction.

Forget the liquifry, too expensive. A trick I learned from a buddy of mine is to get some of the highest quality flake you can, and run it through a small coffee grinder. I don't know the micron size of the food after grinding, but it is such a fine dust that you can begin feeding it after they are one week swimming. It takes an incredibly tiny bit of the atomized flake to feed them, as you are seriously reducing the volume it takes up by grinding it. I feed 150-200 fry an amount that is equal to the size of less than half a match head. You may want to give this a try as an alternative to the liquifry, I use Omega One First Flake, as it has a higher protein & fat content.

Nice fry & tank btw, I love the look of a good clean bare tank.

Thanks Tolak for that info..With the bbs do they definately need to have it? I fed some fry before with bbs..It would be tmoro before I would be able to get some! The fry have been free swimming for 4 days now.. I have tetramin baby food too.. Is that any better than Liquifry?.. I hope they dont die off -_-
Thanks X

Thanks Nelly..Yep they are very cute..x
Thanks straydum I have tetramin baby food too.. Hopefully this will keep them going until I get bbs..x

They don't "need" BBS. It helps but is not essential, other small foods like microworms are good as well but I normally raise fry on crushed flake. I'm feeding sajica fry liquifry 3 as the only thing in their diet, it's designed to fulfill all the needs of the fry after all.

It's only essential if you want a good survival rate. If you are only looking for a few dozen or less healthy angel fry out of several hundred wigglers it is the way to go. Not everyone has growout space for a couple hundred angels, or wants to cull somewhere around 80% of the fish.

reason being Heather. wasnt prepared for it. with proper conditions, 200 to 400 frys is possible. i average around 250 per batch for my pair.

Because they weren't prepared the numbers of fry were low? I suppose if the adults weren't condition you wouldn't get as many fry, but what preparation is needed?

I've been raising over 1000 fry at times, they were fed flake and are now large adults, though these weren't angels.

yeah, in my opinion. if u expect a spawn, another tank could be set up and the eggs transfered there as soon as its possible. methyl blue would prevent fungus and proper water conditions would result in a low mortality rate.

of course the conditions of the parents is a key factor too.

Thanks guys.. The angels didnt just lay 40 eggs they had around 200 or so.. The fry were free swimming in my community tank when I removed them by this time alot of them had been eaten by my other fish.. I wasnt really planning on removing them though as I didnt have a tank.. But at the last minute I rushed out and bought one.. :good: If I had the space ,time and money I would love to raise a batch eveytime they had them but its not really possible in my situation.. :no: xx
Thanks again

your angels would probably breed again in a weeks time. or maybe 2 weeks. if you want to keep the coming batch then get ready! :hyper:

Hi Heather,

You lucky girl, you done it again! :hyper:

How are they doing now? Are they getting flatter yet? Did you get the BBS going yet?

Most reactions

Back