Angel fish fin rot

Prissymissysfish

Reaction score
Sigh…
So one of my adult angel fish died recently and I decided to get a new one. The angel fish had a pair that got along so well, they used to hang out together. Seeing the counterpart lonely, I got a new fish.. a baby veil
Well the adult did not like the baby and was chasing it around..
So I isolated the angelfish. He went pale.. almost white from stress.
I had another tank that I am raising baby guppies in, a set of 1 month olds and newborn guppies.
I removed the newborn guppies because I knew the angel fish would go after it as food and placed it with the 1 month guppies since those were bigger..
Baby angel fish’s color returned almost instantly. I kept the tank quiet and dark for the fish to rehab and adjust.
I was happy that the fish was suddenly picking up energy and was running after food..
Until today, I noticed the fins, it could be stress related or fin rot;
I can’t tell and need HELP!!
I’m thinking of removing a majority of the plant since I initially threw them in there for the newborn guppies to hide in.
I’m wondering if the guppies are stressing the fish out.. thoughts?
I’m in between moves and can’t really setup a whole another tank, but if I have to, I’m considering setting up my 10 gallon.. which will take a lot of room. I was hoping to not have to setup until I move into my new home since I only have one pump in between my large and small tank that both filtrations are connected to.
But should I set it up? Guppies are getting bigger and I could add the newer ones back since there’s a couple of them in with the angelfish and it seems the angelfish is not going after them. I wanted to create a pond for my guppies and move the angel fish to my 29 gallon tank and move the bigger fish to a 65 gallon when I move, which will probably be in a month..

Thoughts??
If it’s fin rot, how do I treat it?

Baby guppies are looking fine and don’t seem affected but I’m going to keep a close watch.
I added a bit of Pimafix to the tank.. what else can I do?

I’ve had this happen to my betta but have been unsuccessful in treating so I’m a bit worried.

Attachments

• 99096E7D-E828-40E6-B6D7-957046E4C656.jpeg
    99096E7D-E828-40E6-B6D7-957046E4C656.jpeg
    317.3 KB · Views: 26
don't add things to the tank unless you know what the problem is and then use the correct treatment.

fin rot is caused by poor water quality. check the water quality and do a water change.

I concur with Colin. I would also suggest that it may be fin nipping by the guppies.

What you experienced with the old and new angelfish is to be expected. This is why we advise never add angelfish to a tank with existing angelfish. The fact that the two originals were compatible is quite rare in itself, though it depends upon gender and individual fish. But two, three or four angelfish is never advisable, it is just not fair to the fish. They cannot help their behaviours, it is in their genetics. In nature this never or rarely would occur because the shoal of angelfish has spece to let things play out naturally. No home aquarium is really large enough for this to work. And the fish is always the real loser.

Most reactions

Back