The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Donya

Crazy Crab Lady
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I've probably brought this up so many times that you guys are probably sick of it, but I have proof now! I finally caught my weirdo little anemone's angry response to being bumped lightly...proof that I'm not insane!

Normal, happy appearance (taken tonight):

nem5.jpg

That is an Aptaisia in front...not the same species (I've let a few get big to see, but clearly not the same even when larger)

A couple seconds after being accently bumped by a macro algae stem while I was trying to feed my snails...

nem6.jpg

These things are put out extreemly quickly and only left out for a few seconds. Now that my nem is big enough and has moved up the side of the tank, I've established that the filaments are contained rolled up in pockets (visible under bright enough light since the whole thing is largely transparent) in the body wall but not in the digestive cavity. They are extruded and retraced through what look like little pores in the skin just below the last row of tentacles. Although I've never been touched by one of the filaments, I've seen them kill other unsuspecting inverts and injure pest nems that get too close. Now, that's great and everything, but I still can't find anything that shows that sort of anatomical feature on an anemone. Not in books, not on anything I've found on the web or in article searching. So, after seeing this a jillion times with accidental nem bumpings, I'm still left at the "WTF?!" stage. Now that I have a photo of the filaments, do they look familiar to anyone? :unsure:

I will try to get a clearer picture of the filament out-putting, but it's tough because the anemone does it so fast and doesn't hold still enough for my camera.

BTW I know it looks really sickly in the filament-extruding picture, but it's was back to looking like the first pic by the time I had gotten the pictures onto the computer. Those two photos were taken about 2 minutes apart.

Yeah, thats the anemone equivalent of a coral sweeper tentacle. That stinger is I'm sure packed with both adhesive and diestive nematocysts. It'll stick on to anything it touches thats organic and try to digest it for sure with one of those. When a tentacled coral like a hammer/torch/frogspawn feels threatened by something invading its space it too will rapidly elongate one of its tentacles and move more nematocysts to the skin to act in defense/offense. I know that some species of coral just use normal polyp tentacles to do it and others have specialized tentacles for aggression/defense. Not sure how anemones do it, but most likely they can do either depending on the species.

Most reactions

trending

Back