Amazon Sword

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fish Buddy

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have an amazon sword plant in my 20g. I read somewhere that they do not like to be submersed in water all their lives (they live above ground and only go under when the forest floods). I want my plant to thrive not just survive so how should I go about this in/out water business (humidity, time...)?
Any help would be appreciated :)

I have had an amazon sword plant in my 55 for 6 years and have never had it out of the water except to split it into two plants. So i am guessing that you may not have to go through any of that in?out stuff to have a thriving plant. :)

There are many plants that grow in or out of the water.

First group are those which will not grow in water, but are sold as aquarium plants by dealers. These will rot over a period of time. They can be decorative, but buyers should be told the truth.

Second group, true aquatic plants. These use the water for support, will flop into a heap out of water, will not grow out of water. Do not have "stiff" stems.

Third group are plants like Swords and Crypts. Most of these grow in areas where the water level changes drastically. They have one growth regime for emerged, a different for underwater. Often these plants have very different leaves when grown out of or underwater. They will grow in a tank without pause.

Fourth group, aqautic plants that live in the varying water level regime, but do not have emergent forms. They die down and rest during the dry period and sprout again when the rains return. Many of these plants grow at a phenominal rate when first planted, but do not survive underwater over a season, they require a drier, cooler "rest" period, examples are most Aponogeton species. Sadly, this group includes many of the most beautiful aquarium plants, but they are not popular because the buyer is not told how to care for them, hence they tend to drown.

So every 6 months could I take out my amazon sword, plant it in soil, keep it moist and at a humidity of 70-90 percent? (temp at 70-85)?

nope.. but you can remove the sword from tank and place it in a tank with 4" of water covering the root, most of the leaves will die off but bigger thickker once will soon replace them. these will die once you add the sword back into the water, but will be soon replaced with softer smaller once.

Also some geenhouses change the DNA on the some plant to make them more aquatic friendly.
Most die hard plant keepers dont like this trend and would advice you to buy them. But there plant dont need to have any dry period anymore to grow and flower.

so I wouldn't see the need for you to remove the plant from the water if it is growing healthy.

Like Lateral Line said there is a group of plant that cannot grow under water and will rot over a period of time. these plant would not even be worth the effort even if you let them grow in a pot 9 month of the year!!

Swords are in my "third" group above. You do not need to take them out or treat them specially, they will live permenantly underwater, (although they will not flower).

You could do as SillyMe says if you want to see the emergent leaves, they are often very different.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back