Amano Shrimps?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

crimsonpython24

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm wondering how much extent will amano shrimps reduce algae growth and clean up remaining food on the substrate?

Currently, I have eight danios, two amano shrimps, two bristlenose catfish, and one albino cory catfish in a 10-gallon tank. There are occasional leftover danios food/green algae tablets leftover on the substrate (which may be the reason why there are some algae in my tank).

I'm not sure if I will have the space to put more of those catfish in my tank, so I'm currently leaning towards stocking more shrimps. Another reason is that the shrimps that I have been hiding behind plants most of the time and I'd like to get them out -- or probably I must do that through decorations?

Just looking for ways to prevent algae growth through animals. Let it be shrimps (preferably), catfish, or snails (though I doubt danios' water parameters are identical to those of snails'), if they can clean things up, I'm good.

Please don't add anything to the tank, it is very overstocked as it is.

The amano shrimps are fine on their own in that sized tank, but all the fish need a bigger tank - and the cory needs a group of at least 6.

I agree with essjay it’s not the best choice of fish for the ten gallon zebras are actually quite a big fish for that size tank and they are super active so do much better in a longer tank where they can use up their energy. You would have been better off looking at micro rasbora or small tetra species like galaxy rasboras. Again with bristle nose while they are a small plec still a big fish for this size tank something smaller like ottos or at a lush red lizard whiptails might have been a better choice.

In terms of the Amanos that is what they will do they graze on algae and clean up a bit of detritus by distributing it and breaking it up into the water column for the filter to suck up.

I’d consider your tank size and fish before you add anything else as I think long term you could have problems and your fish may suffer as a result.

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back