Algae Solutions?

Like Nick says, lower lighting to 8-10hrs, increasing flow can be done through a larger filter, or a powerhead. In a planted tank (i know yours isnt that heavily stocked with plants) but we aim for 10x turnover. which would mean 3000l/ph on your tank.
BGA causes:

ammonia spikes
dirty filter
low nitrates - do you have the test for this?
low flow/ poor circulation.
 
I can easily buy a 2nd filter.
I shall now do a water test so you can see my water results.
So 8am-6pm? or 4pm-10pm?
I get home at 3.30 so putting the lights on in the morning would be pointless as well, noone gets to see them.
 
i still go to 6th form but i have my llights on a timer so they come on around midday.
 
it doesnt really matter what time you have them on, just the length for me i have them on from about 11am - 9pm simply because i am at school.

How long have you had the algae?
How long has tank been set up & cycled?

The ammonia reading couldbe the cause, it is one of the main factors that causes most types of algae.
 
I've had the algae 2weeks after the tank being cycled.
Tank cycled with 125litres from my old tank, and filled to top with treated tap water.
Tanks has been running since July 21st 2008
 
Just got back from the garden centre, and I spent £80.39 on aquarium stuff!!!
I bought all new filter media and the new stuff Juwel have bought out, those lil white stone things.
A Fluval plus2 Filter, some new life spectrum pellets and some flake food.
 
Okay I'm trying to get free postage here, so I'm looking at things to buy for the tank.

Ferplast BluStart - £9.39
Tetra Fresh Delica Daphnia - £3.89 (anyone tried these?)
4 Cladophora aegagropila - £3.95 each
Easy Life EasyCarbo 500ml - £9.99

Total - £39.07 (for free postage I need to spend £40+)

Any good medications I should buy, as I pretty much have nothing except Stress Coat *not exactly medication*
So any help into what medications I should get would be great.
 
Slakey, don't go out and buy new filter media right off. You need the bacteria that you have in the present media. The reduced light period should help some with your algae problem but unless you have a problem with local fish shops not being properly stocked, I would not charge out to buy any medications. When there is a real disease problem in the tank is soon enough for buying meds. If you want to add more for the shipping, how about some more moss balls.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top