Algae Remove Help I Can't Get Rid Of It

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

crunchysnacks

Reaction score
I have a fish tank and recently for some reason I have been getting a hair like algae. I usually just get the regular algae that is on rocks that sucker fish will take off. But I can not get this hair like algae to go away. It is also a pain to pull off. Does anyone know what I need to change to fix this?

We'll need to know a lot more about what you've got going on to help sort out an algae problem. For instance how big a tank, what stock, is it planted and what lighting/fertiliser regime are you using?

There are plenty of other questions but that lot will help to start.

It is a 40 gallon fresh water tank. I has a bala shak some tiger barbs, a yellow suckerfish, and an angel fish. It has all artifical plants. The light is on from 8 when I wake up to about 6 when I eat dinner. And the only chemicals I add to it is stress zyme about everyweek. Its weird becasue I have had the tank for about 2 years and it just recently started and I havent changed what I am doing.

Here is a photo of the algae. Also just the other day my tank went from crystal clear to cloudy. But that is clearing up now.

9PBxysH.jpg

never seen hair algae like that before looks like a sort of white tufty fur heard of green and black hair algae but not white

It's BBA double dosing of liquid Co2 will eventually rid you of it, low or varying Co2 levels and low nitrates and long lighting periods of 8 hours + are the usual cause of this type of algae!
smile.png

Where would you get this liquid Co2 and how much is a double dose? Also what would be a way to get higher Co2 levels.

I took out the bubbler I had in there like a couple months ago I guess thats around when this algee started is that why?

tnc carbon from the nutrient company 1ml per 50l i use 4ml in a 180L so double would be 8ml
you can also remove any ornaments, rocks tank equipment and brush tnc carbon on them with a new paintbrush and leave it for say an hour or soak them in bleach but using bleach you will have to rinse them really well - if you use carbon it isn't harmfull and you can just put them back in the bba will die off either way.

but you have to tackle the cause

If you had an aerator and then removed it i would have though that you would have more co2 in the tank because aerators allow it to be relased also your ph may have dropped slightly beacuse theres more co2 in the water so its more acidic
sometimes any cvhange can be a trigger for algae waiting

prehaps reduce the lighting by an hours or so too

BBA can also be caused from not enough water movement in the tank, taking out the aerator would have dropped water movement and thats why it appeared not long after

Up the water movement, treat with Excel (turn off filter, spot syringe bad areas, turn filter back on), lower photo period time

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back