Algae problems

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

robertsmith50

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have had nothing but problems with algae in my aquarium. None of the over the counter algae killers work. My aquarium is a glofish aquarium so I lined it with black construction paper and it got worse. I have hard green and soft brown algae. I have two plecos that try to keep it clean. I have heard that Hydrogen peroxide can kill algae... is that true. Help... The algae is covering the glass and the glow decorations and making it look like crap. Any ideas?

Hello,

I have had nothing but problems with algae in my aquarium. None of the over the counter algae killers work. My aquarium is a glofish aquarium so I lined it with black construction paper and it got worse. I have hard green and soft brown algae. I have two plecos that try to keep it clean. I have heard that Hydrogen peroxide can kill algae... is that true. Help... The algae is covering the glass and the glow decorations and making it look like crap. Any ideas?
turn filter off, scrub,
ferts?
stocking and tank size

Yep filter off and I would manually scrub the lining of the glass and while doing the scrubbing I will run my Python vacuum suctions on .. so that any algaes thats being cleaned are directly suck on by the python and a clean water change as well.

The only safe and effective solution to "problem algae" is to establish (or re-establish) the balance of light and nutrients. Any chemical treatment with fish in the tank is not advisable, no matter the chemical used. We might be able to advise but we need to know the data...tank size, lighting specifications, if live plants are present, water changes, etc.

As hydrogen peroxide was mentioned, consider that this chemical is a powerful oxidizer. High doses can cause gill damage leading to fish mortality (especially at high temperatures) (Schmidt et al. 2006; Noga, 2010). I know many will suggest this chemical, but give the fore-going this makes no sense. Stay away from chemicals unless they are necessary for the well being of the fish.

Last edited:
The only safe and effective solution to "problem algae" is to establish (or re-establish) the balance of light and nutrients. Any chemical treatment with fish in the tank is not advisable, no matter the chemical used. We might be able to advise but we need to know the data...tank size, lighting specifications, if live plants are present, water changes, etc.

As hydrogen peroxide was mentioned, consider that this chemical is a powerful oxidizer. High doses can cause gill damage leading to fish mortality (especially at high temperatures) (Schmidt et al. 2006; Noga, 2010). I know many will suggest this chemical, but give the fore-going this makes no sense. Stay away from chemicals unless they are necessary for the well being of the fish.
I have a glofish aquarium 25 gallons and about 15 fish, Tetras and Danios. I have done everything suggested except changing the lighting. I have 2 strips of white and blue LED's. I have been thinking about either eliminating one strip of lights, or taping up some of the white lights, but I'm not sure if its the blue or white lights that are causing the growth. It wasn't to bad until I wrapped the 3 walls with black background. I am at a loss as to what to do next. Eliminating the lights will cut down the beauty of the fish and that's why I went to Glofish in the first place. Any other ideas would be welcome. The glow plants are now so covered that the no longer glow.

I have a glofish aquarium 25 gallons and about 15 fish, Tetras and Danios. I have done everything suggested except changing the lighting. I have 2 strips of white and blue LED's. I have been thinking about either eliminating one strip of lights, or taping up some of the white lights, but I'm not sure if its the blue or white lights that are causing the growth. It wasn't to bad until I wrapped the 3 walls with black background. I am at a loss as to what to do next. Eliminating the lights will cut down the beauty of the fish and that's why I went to Glofish in the first place. Any other ideas would be welcome. The glow plants are now so covered that the no longer glow.
yes, when i changed my lighting there needs to be some time to get used to it... well that was like a normal super strong led so yea
dont take off the lights, clean the plants (if they;re plastic, hire a snail or shrimp to clean if normal, actually nerites and amanos work for plastic but easier by hand :)

probably white, but only blue isnt good for the plant
what are glow plants? they sound really cool!! are they like glow fish but they are aquarium plants? or just the plastic ones

From this I am taking it there are no live plants, so that takes us on a slightly different road. Any light, white or blue, will encourage alga if there are nutrients present, and with fish there always are nutrients. Maintenance can have an impact...weekly partial water changes of 60-70% of the tank volume (every week, once), good vacuuming into the substrate to remove as much of the organic matter (all that brown stuff), keeping the filter well rinsed, not overstocking and not overfeeding. Clean the inside of the aquarium glass at every water change, thus once a week, even if nothing shows; this prevents algae from getting hold. I run the sponge scraper over the inside of the front glass on my tanks weekly, sometimes the other walls, it depends.

As for the light, obviously the longer it is on the better advantage for the algae, so reducing the light period may help. Have the lights on a timer, set to be on when you are normally home to enjoy the tank. It is important for the fish to have a regular period, not hap-hazard, so the timer that will be the same every day is best. Remember that algae can use any light, including daylight entering the room through windows, and light from artificial lighting in the evening/night.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back