Algae Eater For 10 Gallon Fry Tank?

Mollygirls

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Mar 13, 2009
Messages
142
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Ontario, Canada
Hi all,

I just have a quick question.. I have a 10 gallon fry tank and I was wondering what I can get to help control algae? I dont want my fry being eaten and a pleco is out of the question as they get too big and its unfair to them!..

Thanks in advanced..
 
I dont know if I can get apple snails at the LFS here.. I have never seen them however I have never really looked. I have a snail problem as it is right now in my 55 gallon..LOL

However the otto sounds promising.. I am going to assume that it is a type of catfish? Do I need more then 1 or are they okay on thier own?

thanks :)
 
Hi Mollygirls. I'm just outside of Toronto, and got an apple snail at the local Paulmacs. They have them labelled as Golden Mystery Snails, but from reading info here, I think that they are one and the same. They are not cheap there though.
$4 CAD. I only needed one for a 5 Gal. A tip: I have brown algae, the apple snail doesn't really help all that much with it. Ottos or a magnetic scraper are probably your best bets.
 
Hi Mollygirls. I'm just outside of Toronto, and got an apple snail at the local Paulmacs. They have them labelled as Golden Mystery Snails, but from reading info here, I think that they are one and the same. They are not cheap there though.
$4 CAD. I only needed one for a 5 Gal. A tip: I have brown algae, the apple snail doesn't really help all that much with it. Ottos or a magnetic scraper are probably your best bets.

Ahh okay so I have seen the apple snails then.. Perhaps the Golden Mystery snail is a Canadian thing..LOL.. I am about an hour outside Toronto.

I did end up buying myself (and fry..lol) an otto. He/she is really tiny right now about 1/2 inch. but he seems to be eating his heart out.. and trust me there is alot for him to eat right now.. ugh.. I really think I better help him out a bit tomorrow during our tank changes..

Thanks for the info :)
 
I asked the LFS guy if he should have a couple friends in there and he said he should be fine on his own.. I bet that LFS guy is single.. ugh.. I will go get my little otto a couple friends today.. I always get worried that all types of fish should at least have a buddy to hang out with in the tank.. he is a cute little thing.. My kids really like him alot so they will be happy that I am "adopting" (buying) more.. LOL

Thanks again :)
 
I have kept ottos as singles and they did fine. For a small tank like that, one or two is all that you will be able to feed. They do not take to prepared food very well. In 2 or 3 weeks, you will have a very fat little otocinclus and some nice looking glass. Mine have often grown to about 2 inches long so I don't know where the 1 inch came from but it might be a different species. There are quite a large number sold under the name of otocinclus.
 
I did end up buying 2 more as I believe it was said above that they are best in groups of 3 or more.. However if 10 gallons isnt going to be enough food for them then I will go buy another one and put 2 of them in the other tank I have downstairs and leave the 2 in the fry tank upstairs.. Hubby and I were looking at a 44 gallon today at the lfs as a fry tank. So perhaps given some time we will have enough room for all 4 otto's in the same tank and lots of growing room for the fry..

Thanks for all the insight :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top