Albino Corys Not Schooling ?

KevinZ

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I bring back 10 Albino Corys today, all of them are newly hatch. Around 2-3 Month old, i acclimate them with drip method, My Congo's is Schooling but my Corys swimming separately and stay Away From each other. Any idea ?

I'm not an expert, but maybe it is because the corys are all different types/breeds of corys?
Or maybe they are just stressed and getting used to their environment.

Cories are more shoaling fish, so they don't need to swim in a tight school, just near each other, and sometimes even don't swim next to each other. I would say give it some time and see what happens.
:)

Just so we know we are all talking about the same thing, the proper meanings are:
shoaling fish are those that in the wild give in large groups
schooling fish are shoaling fish which swim together.

There are few schooling freshwater fish species. Most only school when they feel threatened; when they don't feel threatened they go their separate ways, although they still need to have others of the same species in the vicinity.

Cories are not schooling fish, they will all go their separate ways. The only way to make them school is to keep them terrified, which is cruel.

Oh okay! Thanks :angel: my first time keeping corys and all of them are same species & size's

It is very good that you have a large group of Cories, as that is what they need as a species. They will likely feel more comfortable in this large grouping and be less likely to hide a lot once they have settled in. As Essjay has pointed out, they are a shoaling fish that live in large numbers in the wild, but they are not a schooling fish, so they do not normally display the behavior that most people think of when they think of schooling fish. But, just because they don't actively school, does Not mean they shouldn't be kept in large groups. Your group of 10 will definitely benefit from being in a large group. Cories have something that is just as cool as schooling behavior and that is loads of personality!! Enjoy them!!:)

Yes, a group of 10 Cory's is much better than the usual recommended 6.

It could be stress. That's my best guess. :)

Thanks, I found out that one of my Corys was born with only one eye, do you think it will Hang on ?, still Swimming Normally and Going to top to breath no disease sign. Maybe just disabilities?

Thanks, I found out that one of my Corys was born with only one eye, do you think it will Hang on ?, still Swimming Normally and Going to top to breath no disease sign. Maybe just disabilities?
He will pull through. Animals and fish alike adapt very easily.

So yes, I think it is just a disability. :)

Mine are all over my 55G tank. I have bronze, panda, and albinos. They all mix together and if startled, they all congregate together. It’s perfectly normal.

I believe someone in this Forum has a one-eyed Cory...I just can't remember who? Anyway, I believe their one-eyed Cory does just fine! :)

He will be fine with one eye :)

I got a 1 eyed cory and a 1 eyed platy. Both bought that way. They thrive!
20200218_102040.jpg

received_600521797212088.jpeg

I have a goldfish that lost an eye and is just fine. It is really quite common in fish. Fish have other sensory perceptions like vibrations to help them out. Many have chemoreceptors to help out with extraordinary sense of smell and taste. Most fish have ears, per se, but don’t hear well.

I have a goldfish that lost an eye and is just fine. It is really quite common in fish. Fish have other sensory perceptions like vibrations to help them out. Many have chemoreceptors to help out with extraordinary sense of smell and taste. Most fish have ears, per se, but don’t hear well.
I have a cat with one eye, that is big enough to be a whale. Does that count? :rofl:

Yes....As Deanasue has mentioned... Fish have what is called a lateral line system, which is actually visible in many fish species. It is a line of receptors or sensory organs along the length of the middle of their body that can sense vibrations, movement and pressure differentials in the water, so they are perfectly adapted to living with one eye, as they have many other senses to make up for a missing eye. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back