Airstone Question

tibby25731

Fish Herder
Joined
Jan 13, 2008
Messages
1,766
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Manchester, England
Have just moved my 60 litre tank to my bedroom. I am running 2 airstones in it, and the pump is not particularly quiet, so last night I turned the pump off and then turned it back on this morning. Is there any reason why i shouldn't be doing this? I will have to look into getting a quieter pump I think - any reccommendations?
 
If the pump is off and there is no surface turbulence the fish can suffocate.

Rena are good quality and quiet pumps.
 
The filter creates a ripple on the surface of the water, this is OK, isn't it? I didn't have a pump for about the first 2 weeks of having fish, and was told this was OK, as long as the surface is moving...
Thanks for the reccommendation, will check out Rena pumps!
 
If the pump is off and there is no surface turbulence the fish can suffocate.

As long as the filter output is still rippling the water surface then there will be adequate air diffusion into the water and the fish will be fine

The only worry with turning the air pump on and off is that water may start to back-syphon up the airline tubing, but if you have a one way check valve on each then turning it off at night is no problem

JC :good:
 
Thanks Joe! I do have a check valve so i guess I will be OK! Will still look into a quieter pump though... I think I can sleep through a quiet hum!
 
rena and tetratec air pumps are both very quiet from what i hear
 
rena and tetratec air pumps are both very quiet from what i hear


Tetratec air pumps are V quiet Ive got one running 2x air stones on my 165L which is in my bedroom and 6ft from my head, i dont hear a peep out of it !!!! they're not the cheapest, still a good price tho and well worth the money !!!!!
 
I was told by a mod that airstones really aren't necessary. They don't really add air to the water because they rise up and dissipate to fast(or something like that). The important part that airstones provide is surface agitation. Thats what provides the air to the fish. Some people like airstones for aesthetic purposes.
I don't know very much about powerheads, as I just got my first one for my 125 gallon tank, but it couldn't hurt checking them out to see how small of one you could get. The only way you can tell mine is running is because water is moving around the top of the tank!! Seriously it's really quiet! Maybe other ppl can give you feedback on sizes or if it's appropriate for a small tank or not.
I have a maxi-jet ph. The lowest flow rate on the chart says the mp400 pushes 106 gallons per hour. Might be a bit much for your tank! Lets see what other have to say as I'm quite curious myself!!!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top